Aqualung Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, lol, :wink:, the RAM is not an Apeks clone!

I would never use best as a descriptive term for the Titan LX I suppose, the Hog sound like a nice regulator. But, there are very few designs that have been around as long, at least in part, or that have been as widely used and vetted as the Titan LX. You can count on getting parts and service for the Titan LX just about anywhere and it is a simple regulator to work on and will perform on par with nearly any top end regulator, the difference is all semantics for the sake of argument. And, it really isn't that hard to get hold of parts for AL regulators though typically they do not sell direct to end users. I wish they did but most dive shops will sell to me once they got to know me. I am not implying anything other than, I can afford about anything I want, what I want is the little Titan LX. Just fits my personality I guess.

N

In other words, they are Apeks clones like Edge/HOGs.

The other way around. edge/hog copy other companies design so they did have to put the money into the researching a good design.

PS edge/hog is made where one N Ca diving company got there hp seats from and that country unknown to the N Ca diving company used sub standard seat material. That N Ca diving company does buy seats from them anymore.

Apeks has been around for 35+ years how long has edge/hog been in business?

I have not been into the innards of the newest Titan LX first stage but have been told it is the same old parts just rearranged a bit, dunno for sure. However, the Titan LX I have and use is very much like a Conshelf that I also have and use. It has the cone shaped first with the single HP and radial hose arrangement and the same second stage as the current Titan LX but with different graphics.

N

I am looking at the spare parts diagram from Aqualung. They list the Titan LX, LX Supreme, Legend, Legend Supreme, Legend Octo, and LX Octo on the same diagram. The main difference between the Titan LX and the Legend appears to be the case.

---------- Post Merged at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:29 PM ----------

The Titan LX is Pneumatically balanced while the Titan is mechanical balanced.

The Titan appears to be an unbalanced classic downstream regulator like a Sherwood or SB R190 while the Titan LX appears to be a balanced barrel poppet design like an Apeks or Scubapro G200B/250/500/S600. I have never heard the term mechanically balanced.

---------- Post Merged at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:29 PM ----------

The other way around. edge/hog copy other companies design so they did have to put the money into the researching a good design.

PS edge/hog is made where one N Ca diving company got there hp seats from and that country unknown to the N Ca diving company used sub standard seat material. That N Ca diving company does buy seats from them anymore.

Some people claim that Apeks are copies of Scubapro G250's. The truth is there are only a few ways to skin a cat and to build a regulator so most second stages fall into two categories and are very similar within the category. First stages seem to vary more than second stages. BTW, My understanding is Apeks was in financial trouble prior to Aqualung purchasing the company, so it could have gone out of business. Just look at Dacor, they were a very reputable company at one time.

Last edited:
actually you are wrong, EDGE and HOG worked with my OEM to take their admittedly copies that were kinda crap and improve them, which we did an excellent job. Lately you see that some things like our reversible second stage, new EDGE first Stage (EXP) and EDGE second stages are not copies of anything.

Sounds ike that N Cal dive company had a problem, it happens to EVERY company, I could pull examples from all brands all day long.

EDGE and HOG regulators are the highest quality that has ever come out of my OEM< that very same OEM has and do make regs for many of the "majors" the differences are that I spec and pay higher and also don't waste tens of thousands of dollars a month on ads in glossy magazine, reviews from Scubalab and paying a rep 7-10% to sell my product. I also don't charge an extra $100 at retail for an adjustable second stage over a non adjustable version that cost me the EXACT same to get made. Some people don't like my approach, I get it and in honesty I don't care.The mission at EDGE and HOG is to provide excellent products at an excellent price and excellent service, both to users and dealers. We believe that doing so will drive business to EDGE and HOG dealers (and frankly, that is all that matters) and keep people diving that otherwise would not be buying gear, courses and travel. Our dealers get the same margins that they get from other brands.

To be frank, I am getting tired of the constant bs insiniuations of poor quality from EDGE and HOG, there are thousands of people diving our regs in the most demanding type of dives all over the world, they were recently chosen as the bail out regs on a world record dive (and interesting other companies got "credit" because they gave free gear and other support to the attempt, yet our gear was chosen and the diver not only paid for the regs but also for the repair training) what does that say?

If you want to make comments on the quality of my gear how about you talk about my gear? Not other brands? Certainly with the grass roots level of support and discussion of my products and philosophy you would have EVERY rep from every other brand running around with charts and reports showing how bad my gear is... They aren't, because they can't and a heads to heads comparison on performance, quality and value with EDGE or HOG is the LAST thing they want.

We are in our 6th year of business, growing in triple digits for the last two years, we have MANY new and exciting products in development and have been hiring people to scale the company. How's your favorite brand doing?

---------- Post Merged at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:08 PM ----------

. I have never heard the term mechanically balanced.

---------- Post Merged at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Some people claim that Apeks are copies of Scubapro G250's. The truth is there are only a few ways to skin a cat and to build a regulator so most second stages fall into two categories and are very similar within the category. First stages seem to vary more than second stages. BTW, My understanding is Apeks was in financial trouble prior to Aqualung purchasing the company, so it could have gone out of business. Just look at Dacor, they were a very reputable company at one time.

Dacor did a mechanical balanced system like the one in discussion. Oh...Dacor also did a design like the G250 before SP and certainly WELL before Apeks did...

I have no affiliation with Edge/Hog. But I tried both HOG and the Edge Epic.They blew me away. Just two days ago I sold the last of my Aqua Lung Regs. I was just about to buy a Legend but ended up prefering the Epic over the Legend. I am a recreational diver and prefer the Edge over the HOG but both are great. My decision had absolutely nothing to do with cost, however, it was nice to use the extra money to pay for my dive charters. I also got to talk to the owner of the company and the sales manager about which reg was for me. Try that with the majors...And then got first class service from Jim Lapenta from this very board.

Buy what you like...most likely you will like it and have a great product. I personally really like the AL Regs but I have switched to Edge and don't plan on looking back. Unless there is evidence of faulty products and actual incidences to back it up then I think it is unfair and irresposible to post such accusations. Especially from a company that supports the board and offers its customers such great service.

We are in our 6th year of business, growing in triple digits for the last two years, we have MANY new and exciting products in development

Is there a chance you guys will produce a second stage similar to SP D-series seconds in design?

Some people don't like my approach,

[snip]

To be frank, I am getting tired of the constant bs insiniuations

I think most of this is from Dive Shops and other manufacturers that have to compete against you and have never tried your product.

They bad mouth by default because they hate when a customer comes in and asks why should I pay $600-$700 for an Aqualung when I can get a HOG for half that price?

I've seen people do that exact thing here. You click on their profile and they are a dive shop employee. You click on their dive shop in their profile, and they sell "big name brands" that buy all the glossy magazine ads.

They've got their heads buried "so deep in a bucket of Kool-Aid" that they can't see out the sides of it.

To be frank, I am getting tired of the constant bs insiniuations of poor quality from EDGE and HOG, there are thousands of people diving our regs in the most demanding type of dives all over the world, they were recently chosen as the bail out regs on a world record dive (and interesting other companies got "credit" because they gave free gear and other support to the attempt, yet our gear was chosen and the diver not only paid for the regs but also for the repair training) what does that say?

If you want to make comments on the quality of my gear how about you talk about my gear? Not other brands? Certainly with the grass roots level of support and discussion of my products and philosophy you would have EVERY rep from every other brand running around with charts and reports showing how bad my gear is... They aren't, because they can't and a heads to heads comparison on performance, quality and value with EDGE or HOG is the LAST thing they want.

Here's a comment on your gear compared to another brand :wink: :

I have a SeaQuest Balance and Apeks DS4/ATX40.

Then we bought my son Hog cold water regs, steel backplate, and 32lb wing.

Hog quality as good or better. Performance as good or better. Price better. More features on the regs for the price.

Good job :D

a
Dacor did a mechanical balanced system like the one in discussion. Oh...Dacor also did a design like the G250 before SP and certainly WELL before Apeks did...

I looked it up online and the Dacor Enduro, Quantum, and something else were advertised as mechanically balanced. I tried to find the assembly schematics to see how it translates but couldn't. However, according to Scuba Labs the Titan second stage is not balanced mechanical or otherwise. My understanding the G250 is part of an evolution from the 109 which dates back to the late 60's.

---------- Post Merged at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:27 AM ----------

They've got their heads buried "so deep in a bucket of Kool-Aid" that they can't see out the sides of it.

Most dive shops use an outdated business model so companies like HOG are a threat. They bypass traditional distribution channels and sell to end users using internet distributors. His pricing also exposes the high mark-ups in the industry. He is a threat to their business along with Leisurepro, Ebay and Scubaboard. The dive industry largely runs on BS. Look at Scubapro's or Aqualung's product lines and you see a wide variety of regulators, the reason is to cover all the price points not because of the needs of the diver. Then in the dive shop you need to listen to the sales guy tell you that a regulator is life support and that you need the very best. Well if we need the very best to survive underwater then why do companies make lower end models? HOG exposes this hypocrisy so people bad mouth them.

Funny the thread is titled Aqualung Regulators but somehow it became a Hog discussion. I guess if you want to discuss Aqualung regs do so in the Aqualung forums as Hog detractors will not just hijack the thread, it the will end with the owner of Hog getting on a soapbox! :D What was the thread title again!

I like Zeagle as they are Made in the USA. They are Apeaks clones who copied someone else who borrowed the design from..... well the history is pointless. Zeagle make great regs that are easy to service and they are made in Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom