Aqualung Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuiltLikeABulldog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is probably me beating a dead horse, as I found a MULTITUDE of information on this subject... I Just want to make sure I understand it correctly!

Aqualung Legend

Aqualung Legend LX - Is a Legend with the adjustment knob and $100 up charge
Aqualung Legend LX Supreme - Is an LX with with an IP Switch for free flow
Aqualung Legend Lux - Is a Supreme with Pink Gold and $300 upcharge.

I'm trying to word this correctly to not sound foolish, so if I don't do a good job at it please forgive me lol. But Is there a way to really justify not buying the Standard Legend? The reg I use now doesn't have an adjustment knob, and I don't think I've been or will be in a situation where I'd like one. I don't see the use of an IP switch, as from waht I understand it helps stop freeflow in cold water situations, Not regulator malfunction. So living in a tropical environment and also not really minding manually stopping a free flow. I can't justify the Supreme. I have to admit though... that Pink Gold looks great lol.. but not $400 great.

Is my logic sound, for the type of gear that I'm used to (Scubapro MK11-C300) or if my thinking if completely flawed please tell me, because I've been misinformed! :) Thank you all!

Why not just get a Titan? It's practically the same regulator inside and, from what I've been told, breathes just fine. I'm a Conshelf diver, myself. Conshelfs use the same service kit as the Titan, are easy to service and can be bought on the used market for cheap. The Conshelf 14, 20, 21, 22, SE2, etc. are excellent, dependable regs. The older ones, like the XI and the early model XII only had two LP ports, but the 14 and later had three or more LP ports.

Personally, I would not pay the high price of the Legend but that's just me.

I've got the previous model Legend LX Supreme. Great reg, breathes really well, never had a problem with it. But its no better than other cheaper regs I now use which have the same features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hard to beat the Titan dollar for dollar comparing it to the legend....although, given a choice, the Hog regs beat them hands down.

LOL I can hardly believe that it took 3 replies before someone inserted Hog regs, the darling of Scubaboard, into an OP question about another brand.

Built,
What is wrong with your Scubapro MK 11?

I agree with Paladin. The Titan LX is probably all that you need for your warm water diving. The Legend is a great reg, but you probably won't notice much difference in breathing between a Legend and a properly adjusted Titan LX. FWIW I have dived a Legend, and currently own none, but I do own 4 Titan LX's.

LOL I can hardly believe that it took 3 replies before someone inserted Hog regs, the darling of Scubaboard, into an OP question about another brand.

Built,
What is wrong with your Scubapro MK 11?

I agree with Paladin. The Titan LX is probably all that you need for your warm water diving. The Legend is a great reg, but you probably won't notice much difference in breathing between a Legend and a properly adjusted Titan LX. FWIW I have dived a Legend, and currently own none, but I do own 4 Titan LX's.

Yeah... It doesn't take long for people to say how much they love HOG, but there's really no comparison to an Aqua Lung Legend, or any of the Apeks line.

If you (the OP) want to really know the technical differences between the Aqua Lung Legends, I suggest you ask Aqua Lung in their Q&A Forum here on SB, and not ask for anecdotal answers from people who are just going to say that HOG is great, and cheap.

I mean... how does HOG beat them? With breathing characteristics? Did HOG beat them on the ANSTI machine? Outperform in cold water? Have less failures? Let's hear some data to back up all of this stuff... yes?

Yeah... It doesn't take long for people to say how much they love HOG, but there's really no comparison to an Aqua Lung Legend, or any of the Apeks line.

If you (the OP) want to really know the technical differences between the Aqua Lung Legends, I suggest you ask Aqua Lung in their Q&A Forum here on SB, and not ask for anecdotal answers from people who are just going to say that HOG is great, and cheap.

I mean... how does HOG beat them? With breathing characteristics? Did HOG beat them on the ANSTI machine? Outperform in cold water? Have less failures? Let's hear some data to back up all of this stuff... yes?

I'll show my charts if you show me yours...LOL.

Seriously, I am pretty confident with my EDGE or HOG regs up against Aqua Lung, Apeks or anyone really. The easiest way would be by price point. Put my EDGE Exp against a $240 retail AL reg, then the EPIC against a $350 reg and the TiEx goes at $699. Throw HOG up against whatever you want. Build quality I am happy to sacrifice a few regs to the salt machine to destruction if you can convince AL to do the same.

Make no mistake, they make a EXCELLENT product but so do we.

They do have much better dealer support network and that is important, of course they are a much bigger company that's been in business much longer. We do have people diving EDGE and HOG all around the world and will bend over backwards to help them out.

One other thing to consider is how the company treats it's customers and by that I mean the end user. When I had an issue with a large manufacture's product that the dealer couldn't take care of I tried going right to the source. What I got from the large manufacture when they first picked up the phone is "are you a dealer" I answered "no" (yes I suppose I could have lied), what I got back is "sorry we don't deal with the end user that is what we have our dealers for", end of conversation.

As far as the OP's question goes,

I have used AquaLung Regs for students and as my personal Reg, in my Scuba teaching business for a number of years now. For student use, I first had 4 Calypso regs, kept them for a year and switched to 4 Titan LXs with ACD.
- To me the Calys were ok but I perferred the Titan LX for Advanced skills, especially Deep. The Titan is very similar to the MK11/300 you spoke of.

My teaching rig has been a Legend LX Supreme and it has about 600 dives on it over the past year. I've done many 100-130 dives with it and a couple of Rescues where I needed a lot of air on tap and under stress.

In a pinch, I've used the Titan LX when I walked out of my shop and left my Legend sitting on the bench. I was fine with the Titan but wished I'd not forgotten my Legend.

The Legend LUX is a waste of money.

I also use either a SP Mk17 or MK25 with a G250v....

Now since I see HOG has been brought up my others, and since I happen to have used HOG regs, I'd like to toss in another .02
- I recently purchased one of the Edge EXP regs and used it on a couple of Advanced dives. I must say, in use, not just paper charts..... to me it breaths better than the Titans.

I plan to sell off my Titans and switch to all Edge EXPs for student use.

I hope to snag one of the EdgeTi regs soon, so I can get a real world feel for it....

Lastly, I'm not a shop, strickly a Scuba Training business....... and just my .02 .... well maybe .04

Aqualung Legend

Aqualung Legend LX - Is a Legend with the adjustment knob and $100 up charge
Aqualung Legend LX Supreme - Is an LX with with an IP Switch for free flow
Aqualung Legend Lux - Is a Supreme with Pink Gold and $300 upcharge.

AL Legend LX: Two separate controls - venturi and opening effort
AL Legend Supreme is designed for cold water diving other than that it is a Legend LX.
AL Legend LUX: slightly smaller and lighter (10%?) than the 'older' Legends. Has one knob to control venturi and open effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom