Aqualung Mistral DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a new Mistral in the case at a shop that closed two years ago. I understand the new price was close to $900. They couldn't get rid of the one they had at $350.00. And this was a long time AL dealer that said it was a garbage reg.

I think the Mistrals in the wood case were $900, but the regular models were in the $500-$600 range.

-----

I'm with Nemrod on positioning - between the shoulder blades, or perhaps just a bit higher works just fine. What is more important is getting the can as close to your back as possible, so small diameter tanks and a very thin back plate both help.

It's hard to see, but this will give you a fair idea of where the cans are positioned relative to the wing, and you can see that the can basically sits even with the back plate and in use with a diver in the harness the top of the wing ends up getting pushed below the can, which is then flat against your back/shoulder blades.

D3428D95-8615-47A3-9739-96C8AAA8C967-2271-000002EAE3F4B515.jpg

-----

Luis's plate is well designed for the task, and if I did not have one of the prototype Freedom plates, I'd have one of his:

Link to: Universal plate

For that matter, the whole system is very well designed and it's at a killer price. $225 for a whole BC system just does not happen anywhere else:

Link to: VDH system

I own two new Mistrals.
One is the special edition and it is NIB stored with both it carrying case and its wood box totally untouched. Maybe some day it will become a collector’s item (like the Edsel) and I will sell it for big coin… I didn’t pay too much for it.

The other one I have used a couple of times and I have used it to experiment with chest mounted configuration. I have adjusted this one to a cracking effort of less than 1 inWC, but with a non-existent venturi effect, it is just a hard breathing regulator. I have plans to modify it to add some venturi flow, and I have all the parts I need. Now I just need the time to do it. I am fairly confident that I can improve the performance of the regulator, but it is low in my priority list.

At the moment, the Argonaut is at the top of my priority list. The engineering design is basically finished and it has been through a number of tests, but I am now helping Bryan with some of the low rate production (LRP) issues.

I'm with Nemrod on positioning - between the shoulder blades, or perhaps just a bit higher works just fine. What is more important is getting the can as close to your back as possible, so small diameter tanks and a very thin back plate both help.

I agree with the ideal regulator position being between the shoulder blades and as close to the back as possible. In many ways, I feel that the biggest performance improvement to all my DH regulators comes from the redesigned back-plate. The longer Phoenix also helps, but sometimes it does not play well with some backpacks.

I like it when the regulator cans actually touch my back and I can feel the exhaust bubbles running down my back. To make a regulator perform better it would have to be surgically implanted. :wink:

When I was in Panama City, at the Navy Experimental Diving Unit, I had some interesting conversation with a couple of the re-breather researchers about the difference between work-of-breathing and perceived-work-of-breathing. The second term is actually the term I use, but they totally agree that they are not the same and the perceived-WOB is often more important than the actual. It is very interesting where the pressure sensors are located in their breathing test dummies.

Some time back I was showing my brother my new cyclecross bike. It was then I discovered that he is nearly two inches taller than me and yet his legs are nearly one inch shorter than mine. No wonder I could always out run him, :wink:. So, since I am way off topic, as usual, I just got my new vdh plate and love it. But, like all metal plates, the bottom hits and cuts into my derriere. My fabric soft plate from Oxy actually puts the tank as low, just as close and does not cut my backside. This is not unique to the vdh plate, in fact, of the several plates I have, it is by far the best fit. For people with longer torsos, more height or no butt (the rear end, I am saying) or who mount tanks higher up, may not or do not have the issue.

Another observation, most people have flat backs and these days, no waist, so there is built in padding there. For people who have a more curved spine and no functional padding may also find some difficulty with plates. Of course, with enough neoprene, problem solved I suppose.

But another but, these are the plates that conform to my shape:

1. Voit Snugpac
2. Freedom Plate
3. Oxy fabric/soft travel plate

The Snugpac and Freedom Plate actually set the tank on an angle, inclined and the soft travel plates like the Oxy, they just flip and flop wherever needed or not needed and that is their weakness, stability.

So, back to the bicycle, apparently most people have longer torsos and I think this is key to being happy with a plate. The "universal" fit requirement (for the wings) of a plate and the hole/slot placement forces a long plate. If the diver hikes the plate way up high as is currently in vogue it might not cut into the divers bottom side so they never notice, even if the valve is nearly at the top of their head (hey, I seen it, long hoses and wrappings and now helmets). But, if you try to wear the tank at what many of us consider a normal and proper height then the bottom edge is on the bottom, so to speak :wink:. If the industry could do it all over, IMO, it would have been better to put the spacings for holes and slots, closer and drop the top camband slot lower.

My conclusion, plates in general are too long for many divers. I have a bandsaw and just installed a fresh new aluminum cutting blade. It may or may not have a project, not decided yet. Nothing is ever perfect, sometimes we just live with compromises and accept the value of the total concept.

N

Back
Top Bottom