Aqualung Legend LX vs. Atomic B2 or ST1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm ready to upgrade and buy new regs for recreational use down to 120fsw, nitrox compatible of course. So I'm down to the Aqualung Lengend LX or Atomic ST1, or maybe B2. (And please keep comments to those regs mentioned. Yes, I know there are a bunch of other great regs out there, these are the ones I'm interested in buying locally. Thanks!)

What is your actual experience with these two?

Is the difference in the service requirements worth extra for the ST1 or is the savings simply offset by the added service cost every two years?

I heard there is more risk of getting water in the 2nd stage on the Atomics when rinsing unpressurized, is that really a problem or some overblown thing?

Thanks for the advice!

I have been using the Atomic regulators for at least 15 years now (I have used most models they make). They are the most reliable regulators I have ever used (I have used regulators from most brands). I am now using the B2 (sealed FS version) and the ST1 for years now without any issues at all (the B2 is about 10 years old). I have had the chance to use the AL LX a while back (I get to try regulators from different brands) and I find that the Atomics are still superior in their performance and reliability.

I don't know of any "special" service requirements for any Atomic regulator. I go for years without servicing them (sealed versions) and no issues at all. I rinse and soak the regulators after use. The seat saving feature in the Atomic SS is a great feature and never had any issues with water going through the second stage to the first stage. I always put the regulator on a Tank with pressure after cleaning the regulator and blow air for few seconds from the regulators SS before putting the regulator away (I do this with all brands).

First choice will be the ST1 and second will be the B2 (sealed version).

Last edited:
That's great info! Thank you!

Is the difference in the service requirements worth extra for the ST1 or is the savings simply offset by the added service cost every two years?
There is no difference in service requirements for the ST1 vs. the B2.
We stand behind this claim with our 2-Year/300 Dive Warranty
Applies to Every regulator in their line. That's also the recommended service interval. Aqualung's is 1st year inspect, 2nd year service.

The difference in price is solely due to it being an all Stainless first stage vs. the B2 1st stage being Stainless/Brass. The 2nd's are all Titanium components on both models. Freeze protection is standard on the ST1 and optional($40?) on the B2 also. Atomic Aquatics Regulator Systems Comparison Chart

I don't do anything to get the water out after rinsing because I soak one stage then the other keeping the other higher outside the tank - water doesn't flow up. Although I learned about that 4-5 years into B1 ownership over a decade ago. On that particular reg the shop tech came out front once and apologized for using the service kit, said it honestly didn't need it but seemed like a waste not to since it was all apart.

My buddy still dives that reg as his usual reg. And he's got a Poseidon Jetstream also.

Last edited:
I love the ST1, and would go with that between the two, just because I like the extra bling factor - B2 and ST1 performance should be the same.

There is no difference in service requirements for the ST1 vs. the B2. Applies to Every regulator in their line. That's also the recommended service interval. Aqualung's is 1st year inspect, 2nd year service.

I really meant the difference in service between Atomics vs. Aqualung. Atomic says only service 2yr or 300 dives where Aqualung requires inspection each year and service every other. Parts are free (pay for labor) with Aqualung but Atomic I'd pay for the whole service. The ST1 is sealed and I hear the special filler is very expensive. Looks like cost of ownership is lower with the Aqualung over time.

The two shops I deal with carry either brand and it's personal preference as some of their guys use Aqualung while others like the Atomics.

I've never tried any Aqualung regs. The shop I teach with has ScubaPro & Atomic and some others but no Aqualung.

I really meant the difference in service between Atomics vs. Aqualung. Atomic says only service 2yr or 300 dives where Aqualung requires inspection each year and service every other. Parts are free (pay for labor) with Aqualung but Atomic I'd pay for the whole service. The ST1 is sealed and I hear the special filler is very expensive. Looks like cost of ownership is lower with the Aqualung over time.

As the shop sells both have them give a quote on two years of inspection/service for the AquaLung and the biannual service on the Atomic. Also AquaLung requires that you follow their program and it is documented or yer out: Free Parts for Life Program. Many feel the program is really marketing rather than actual service.

Now for the practical matter on service. Most regulators with proper care can go longer then two years between service. Some (many) twice as long. I average about 4 years.

That said you are correct about sealed regs like the ST1 and the cost of the Christolube. That said IMHO there no need to buy a sealed reg unless the environment you are diving really requires it. I have used unsealed Atomic Z2 regs in water that was mid 40s without issue. The only regs of mine that are sealed are my O2 Atomics M1's and old T1's.

As for the seat saver feature on the Atomic and rinsing. Yes, one does need to keep the first stage above the second stage when rinsing sans pressure. It is not that big of a deal.

Here is why I like the Atomic line up - the second stages are not clunky like many others, the regs are all the same so one service kits, all parts are interchangeable, they are easy to service (I do it myself), excellent customer service.

My suggestion would be buy the B2s.

Great post there Silly. Thanks!!

The sealed FS isn't just for cold water, it is actually best protection against sand/dirt/salt/etc. With the sealed version you can go much longer between servicing and thus it would pay for itself very easily. I go 3 - 4 years between service for my B2 and ST1 without any effects (I measure the IP and cracking pressure). It is as "bullet proof" as you can get with these regulators while stilling having the best performance!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom