Aqualung - Calypso Regulator rebuild suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 1st generation Calypso 1st stage uses an unusual HP seat that is not easy to find.

I don't know if you realize that the exhaust T on you second stage is up-side-down. Some people actually used to install it like that intentionally, but it was designed to be 180 degrees of what your pictures show.

You will notice a slight chin rest depression when you install it correctly.

Some divers used to think that by pointing the exhaust down it would get the bubbles further away, but it doesn't. And then there were other that just thought it was cool to mount it up-side-down to be different... and that is not a bad reason... :cool2:

I personally think it looks better the way it was intended...

I did not, thanks. I'll check it out.

The second stage feels better when the exhaust tee is mounted right-side up, as Luis stated. Concerning the HP hose, they are actually made to bubble like that so that no blisters form. But it was probably good to replace it.

John

The second stage feels better when the exhaust tee is mounted right-side up, as Luis stated. Concerning the HP hose, they are actually made to bubble like that so that no blisters form. But it was probably good to replace it.

John

John, that is a little misleading but I know what you mean. The hose is suppose to leak that way WHEN it has a defect in the inner linner to prevent it from exploading. It is not however, supposed to leak that way under normal conditions. If it does the hose is defective and needs replacing.

Herman,

I was told years ago by a manufacturer's rep that all HP hoses leak a little, but it is usually unnoticeable. The small holes prevent blistering of accumulated gas from those leaks. However, with age and use (or with a different gas, e.i. helium) they will leak more, and that is when they need to be replaced.

SeaRat

Flipped the exhaust and I agree, much better. Thanks for the education on HP hoses, nice to know that the leaking is by design to avoid a major blow out.

No, the leaking is not by design. Hoses are not supposed to leak. The outer most cover has pinholes to vent any gas in the case of a hose failure that causes a leak. A hose that leaks needs to be replaced.

The outer cover is not structural and it is not design to hold any pressure. The pin holes has a similar function to the pressure relief plug on the back of the pressure gauge... They are there in the case of a failure and leak inside the pressure gauge.

Helium is a totally different subject. Helium will leak to some degree through just about anything. We used helium to try to detect leaks in glass seal penetrations in very high pressure vessels used in sonar equipment. Given enough time, a helium tank will loose some pressure even with the valve closed.

Luis, I guess manufacturer's reps are not engineers. :wink:

SeaRat

One last hurdle. I have the old U.S. Divers "Sea-Div" SPG which has a 3/8 male on it. The new HP hose has a standard 7/16 female HP. I'd like to use the old SPG but will need an 3/8 female to 7/16 male adapter....can't find one any place. Any suggestions on where to locate one?
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom