Aqualung BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question was more around vest versus backplate & wing.

The sizing was a major problem. I had to try on every XS they had to find something, and it wasn't a small shop. I did try a Zenara (?) but they only had a small and I was swimming in it.

What is negative about Aqualung?

The gear seems to hold well and maintain its looks. It has features to deal with gear management such as routing for gauges to keep them nice and nearly placed. The weight pockets allow me to properly shift weight to achieve neutral buyoncy. Plus the company had been around for a long time, not to mention the free parts for life deal.

more than happy to explain my position via pm, but this thread is about the OP being excited about their gear purchase and this is not the place to discuss my opinions. Unfortunately the small transpacs are very difficult to find in stock, and the short backplates are also quite difficult and if you are under 5'7" or so the standard size backplates are going to be way too long and dig into your hips or put the tank up way too high on your back, or both.

free parts for life is for the aqualung/apeks regulators, not sure it applies to bcd's. with scubapro, you have to buy the regs, bc, and a computer all at the same time to get the parts program now iirc. not sure if OP was aware of that difference when picking the scubapro regs over aqualung/apeks. especially since apeks pricing is much more competitive in the UK.

I was just thrilled to find something that fit after 140 dives in BCs that suck.

I bought the regs first, and was expecting to buy a scubapro BC, but it didn't work out that way.

Yeah I'm 5'2" (and a bit) so no dice unfortunately.

more than happy to explain my position via pm, but this thread is about the OP being excited about their gear purchase and this is not the place to discuss my opinions. Unfortunately the small transpacs are very difficult to find in stock, and the short backplates are also quite difficult and if you are under 5'7" or so the standard size backplates are going to be way too long and dig into your hips or put the tank up way too high on your back, or both.

yeah, there are a few plates out there that will fit you, but I understand the frustration. I swore up and down that I couldn't wear a single piece harness on a backplate for 5 years. I learned and had roughly 500 dives on a standard backplate but was using a transplate harness. When I got my first "long" plate from Deep Sea Supply, I listened to Tobin and tried it with a single piece harness and my tune changed because I finally found a plate that fit. I have a custom transpac for my Nomad in an extra long length from Dive Rite and it really makes all the difference in the world. Their "small" plates are designed for people under 5'3", but unless you are on the west coast or Pennsylvania there is really no way to try them on

Yeah, try London. Not even on the same continent!! To be honest, I was going to wait until the London dive show to try everything on, but now I'm going to be in Australia and Malaysia at that time. I went to the biggest shop in London and came home with the Pearl. :)

I had an Aqualung Balance BC for my recreational diving/ OW instruction. It was a wonderful BC! Loved it, it fit well & I was perfectly trimmed out in it. Unfortunately, in the rigors of instruction, the bladder ruptured (a 1-1/2 hole in the bottom of the wing). I was hoping to get another,.... but Aqualung has since discontinued the BC & replaced it with the Dimension,... The biggest gripe about the Dimension, is that the trim pockets are set too far down (has a very low cam band, like the Zuma). That puts all the weight around the waist & causing a head's up/ feet down trim. That is unacceptable to me, as I ascribe to a perfect horizontal trim in the water. It is a shame that Aqualung discontinued a very good BC. OK,... rant over. Enjoy your new BC & regulators. May they serve you well & give you lots of enjoyable dives.

Aqualung makes good quality products. Your gear should last a very long time. The Pearl is designed to create a good fit for people who are hard to fit, so it appear to have been a good choice for you. The Dimension should be similar to the old Balance BCD, although I can see why having the trim pockets lower is problematic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom