Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Collin O'Brien

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a Cressi XS octo last year for about $80 because it was the cheapest one I could find after dropping thousands on all my other new gear and I figured I would almost never use it (not the best mind set, I understand that).

I was given the chance to buy a 4yr old AquaLung ABS octo today for much less than that $80 with no mouthpiece which should be an easy fix. It was serviced last year.

Would it be wise to try to sell the Cressi and take the person up on that AquaLung ABS offer even though it is 4 years older?

I have a new AquaLung MBS Legend as my primary regulator.

It is totally unclear what you hope to achieve with what you explain above.

The AL ABS is a basic octo with the primary feature that sets it apart being its side exhaust which enables it to breath ok rightside up or upside down like in a shared air situation using a regular recreational regulator setup.

I know nothing of the Cressi octo you have but the AL ABS has mixed reviews, I have one and have not had any issues with it but I stopped using it when I switched to a long hose with bungeed octo setup.

I dont think you will find the ABS will perform better than you Cressi, and I doubt you will be able to sell your Cressi for anywhere near $80 since it sells new with warranty for between $80 and $90.

If you decide to sling your octo on a bungee necklace, the cressi octo will sit much nicer as the ABS mouthpiece and hose attachment will have it hanging at a weird angle.

Either would work fine with your 1st stage, but I dont think you would gain anything by switching to the ABS.

-Z

may be for ease of servicing to avoid having to find a shop that services both aqualung and cressi

Reactions: Zef
may be for ease of servicing to avoid having to find a shop that services both aqualung and cressi

If that is the case, I would recommend a Titan/Calypso 2nd stage instead of the ABS for an inexpensive octo, for the same reasons I mentioned above.

-Z

I bought a Cressi XS octo last year for about $80 because it was the cheapest one I could find after dropping thousands on all my other new gear and I figured I would almost never use it (not the best mind set, I understand that).

I was given the chance to buy a 4yr old AquaLung ABS octo today for much less than that $80 with no mouthpiece which should be an easy fix. It was serviced last year.

Would it be wise to try to sell the Cressi and take the person up on that AquaLung ABS offer even though it is 4 years older?

I have a new AquaLung MBS Legend as my primary regulator.
What Octo did you end up using?

Back
Top Bottom