Aqua Lung Recalls Scuba Regulators and Adapters Due to Drowning Hazard (9/10/2008)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

having known that; would you "risk" it again?

Actually Yes, As a matter of fact I just purchased another two Apex regs for some deco bottles. Difference is I have my LDS give them a good look over when I purchase them. Sometimes people over look something. I understand mistakes happen. Yes it is my life. That again is why I have them inspected when I purchase them. Just to make sure.

Very Interesting Recall. Two years ago, my dive buddy bought an Apex. On the third dive with the reg, the second stage flooded without warning. He as diving in a Cenote. He finished the dive on his octo. Had to rent a reg for the rest of the trip. He will never use another Apex reg.

So you're saying your buddy had never taken apart his 2nd stage, or at least, had never taken the front cover off?

I just purchased a brand new Apeks XTX200 Status reg from a friend for a lower price than normal, and I didn't bother checking it out, but now I'm having second thoughts. Are there serial numbers that this is more prevelant in? And also, will the authorized dealers still check it out for free or is this something that can't be done in my situation? I don't have a whole lot of money to spend at the moment, but I don't want to die either. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

... If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Yes,

See the 9th post in this thread where JohnB has pointed out the item in question. If you do not feel comfortable removing the outer cover, take it in to any dealer for inspection. As this is a recall, they should be able to do it on the spot with no charge to you. In the first post, Carlos gives the toll free recall hotline numbers.

c

And also, will the authorized dealers still check it out for free or is this something that can't be done in my situation? I don't have a whole lot of money to spend at the moment, but I don't want to die either. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Take it to El Mar in Mesa. They're an Apeks/Aqualung dealer. I would be very surprised if they charge you anything to look at it.

Take it to El Mar in Mesa. They're an Apeks/Aqualung dealer. I would be very surprised if they charge you anything to look at it.

As a matter of fact, that's what I did yesterday. They checked it, and everything was fine. Do you guys know if this recall applies to XTX50 Octos as well or not?

As a matter of fact, that's what I did yesterday. They checked it, and everything was fine. Do you guys know if this recall applies to XTX50 Octos as well or not?

It should.
The Apeks site states as follows

"Limited recall of Apeks TX, ATX and XTX 2nd Stages
This is limited to those 2nd stages/octopus purchased before July 2008 that have not undergone an authorised annual service."

Damn, I guess I'll have to go get that checked too. It seems that what they did to check it was extremely simple, they just unscrewed the cover and saw if the piece was in or not. Would it be safe for me to do the same thing by myself instead of having to take it to them again?

Damn, I guess I'll have to go get that checked too. It seems that what they did to check it was extremely simple, they just unscrewed the cover and saw if the piece was in or not. Would it be safe for me to do the same thing by myself instead of having to take it to them again?
Yes. :)

I do not trust my LDS to work on anything of mine.(Let alone even fill a tank with clean air) Is their some place you can send it into or can Apex send you the part?

Back
Top Bottom