Aqua Lung Expands Recall of Buoyancy Compensators Due to Drowning Hazard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

151,300 units?
WOW!!!!
And that's just Aqualung.
I had no idea there were that many BCD's sold.
I wonder what the total combined global sales of ALL units by all companies are?

I'm wondering if "units" = "weight pockets" rather than BCDs.

Replaced mine in about 5 minutes. My LDS is an AL dealer, I guess he received a big ol box of handles.

Mine was done that quick the last time. Major delay this time is me - I went in a week and a half ago to drop off my Apeks regs for service and walked away convinced I was forgetting something. The pockets, apparently, are still in my truck. :dork2:

I had not heard of this recall until a few days ago. One of my handles broke last week in Fiji so just dove with the weight pocket in the zippered side pocket of my AL Pearl. When I called my LDS after returning, they told me about the recall and to bring the pockets in; they replaced the handles in a minute. They had been unable to inform me of the recall (since I'd bought the BC there) 'cause my email address was my really old one.

Mine was done that quick the last time. Major delay this time is me - I went in a week and a half ago to drop off my Apeks regs for service and walked away convinced I was forgetting something. The pockets, apparently, are still in my truck. :dork2:

Dropped by this morning while out and as with the last time, the switch took all of 5 minutes.

I thought it interesting that he had to open a FedEx box to get the parts needed, which indicates to me that this recall is probably not very well known? Otherwise I would have expected he would have needed to dip into the stash before this.

I'm a little confused. My AquaLung BCD is about a year old and it has the handles pictured below:

attachment.php

Rubber handle, with webbing connecting the handle to the weight pouch. Are these ones okay, or are they supposed to be replaced as well?

Thanks,
-Tim

Timmyjoe I just had my handles replaced at my LDS and they replaced mine with the ones you pictured. I hope that means you have the most up to date version.

Back
Top Bottom