Aqua Lung Recalls Scuba Regulators and Adapters Due to Drowning Hazard (9/10/2008)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the heads up. I posted this recall on July 20th here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/244000-apeks-regulator-recall.html,

so I'm glad the notice was "for immediate release" on September 17th. Do you think it's been sitting in somebody's fax machine down at Aqualung?:wink:

APEKS Regulator recall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Undercurrent.org:

APEKS Regulator Recall : Some Apeks ATX and XTX regulators have incorrectly assembled second stages. The diaphragm cover, a black, silver or yellow ring of plastic that sits on top of the main diaphragm, was left out during the second stage assembly process. A missing cover could allow the diaphragm to become displaced, causing a diver to suck in water instead of air. The recall includes all second stages and octopuses purchased before July 2008 that haven't had the authorized annual service. Take yours to an Apeks dealer for a visual inspection. A technician can do a visual inspection through the front cover, but it's better yet to remove the cover to ensure the diaphragm cover is there and in its proper place. For details, contact Apeks at info@apeks.co.uk

Very Interesting Recall. Two years ago, my dive buddy bought an Apex. On the third dive with the reg, the second stage flooded without warning. He as diving in a Cenote. He finished the dive on his octo. Had to rent a reg for the rest of the trip. He will never use another Apex reg.

Shame it took Apex 5 years to admit the problem. I guess Apex relied on the LDS's to resolve the issue with annual maintenance, billing their customers.

I have a Apex TX-50. Great reg. Apex does make great gear. Amazed they acted so slow to stand up when they make a mistake.

Shame it took Apex 5 years to admit the problem.
It is a shame it took Apeks that long to address the problem.

I guess Apex relied on the LDS's to resolve the issue with annual maintenance, billing their customers.
???? Parts are free if you bought it from an authorized dealer and pay the labor for the annual service.

Thanks for the heads up. I posted this recall on July 20th here:

APEKS Regulator recall,

so I'm glad the notice was "for immediate release" on September 17th. Do you think it's been sitting in somebody's fax machine down at Aqualung?
More likely at CPSC.

Apex makes such good equipment it just takes LDS 4 years to notice the issue because no one ever has issues. LOL. Just took mine down and everything is AOK.

Apex makes such good equipment it just takes LDS 4 years to notice the issue because no one ever has issues. LOL. Just took mine down and everything is AOK.
having known that; would you "risk" it again?

...This poses a drowning hazard to divers.
...Incidents/Injuries: None.
...Sold at: Authorized Apeks dealers nationwide from February 2000 through June 2008 for between $420 and $1,450.

25,000 units sold over an 8yr. period w/o any incidents? Thats a really great record for a defective product. I would have expected at least 1 incedent with that many units and time frame with non-defective products.

Very Interesting Recall. Two years ago, my dive buddy bought an Apex. On the third dive with the reg, the second stage flooded without warning. He as diving in a Cenote. He finished the dive on his octo. Had to rent a reg for the rest of the trip. He will never use another Apex reg.

Shame it took Apex 5 years to admit the problem. I guess Apex relied on the LDS's to resolve the issue with annual maintenance, billing their customers.

I have a Apex TX-50. Great reg. Apex does make great gear. Amazed they acted so slow to stand up when they make a mistake.

I missed this one. I guess there may have been incedents, just not reported.:wink:

25,000 units sold over an 8yr. period w/o any incidents? Thats a really great record for a defective product. I would have expected at least 1 incedent with that many units and time frame with non-defective products.
But the service to your regulator......I think one a year, nobody noticed???? That mean the LDS isn't looking too....O my God save me :blessing:

Well now at least we know where the scubapope/italian contingent stands. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, do we know how many units were actually defective? Has anyone seen one "in the wild"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom