Atomic Cobalt Dive Computer Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cha Cha Cha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For Immediate Release Firm’s Recall Hotline: (888) 270-8595
September 27, 2012 CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
Release #12-DRAFT CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
HC Media Contact: (613) 957-2983

Atomic Aquatics Recalls Cobalt Dive Computer Due to Impact and Drowning Hazard
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
Name of product: Cobalt Dive Computer
Units: About 4,000 in the U.S.; 200 in Canada
Manufacturer: Atomic Aquatics, of Huntington Beach, Calif.
Hazard: The unit can leak and cause the lens of the computer to blow off suddenly, which could result in impact injuries, and can cause a gas leak, posing a drowning hazard.
Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received 23 reports of leaks caused by the lens being forcefully expelled from the computer due to excess air pressure inside the computer. No injuries were reported.
Description: This recall involves Atomic Aquatics brand Cobalt dive computers. These handheld, console-style dive computers have LCD screens and four magnetic control buttons located below the screen. A fitting at the bottom of the computer connects to the high pressure hose of a scuba diving regulator. The name Atomic Aquatics logo is imprinted on the front of the console, below the screen. The dates of manufacture are between May 31, 2010 and April 16, 2012. Serial numbers, 2210-XXXX through 1612-XXXX, can be found by scrolling to the “System Info” screen on the computer. The recalled products can be identified by the manufacture dates, which are determined by the first four numbers of the serial number with the first 2 digits signifying the week of manufacture (01 through 52) and the second 2 digits signifying the year of manufacture (10, 11 or 12).
The recall affects all Cobalts with serial numbers that start with any of the following numbers:
10 Series: 2210 2910 4010 4710 5010
11 Series: 1111 1711 2611 2811 3211 3311 3411 3511 3611 3711 3811
3911 4011 4111 4211 4511 4611 5211
12 Series: 0812 1112 1212 1312 1412 1612
Sold at: Authorized Atomic Aquatics dealers sold Cobalt dive computers from November 2010 through July 2012 for about $1200.
Manufactured in: United States
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled dive computers and return the unit to either an authorized Atomic Aquatics dealer or the Atomic Aquatics factory for inspection and repair.

There is a product safety recall that is going out for Cobalt computers today, related to the high pressure connector. It concerns only those that were manufactured prior to April, 2012- see the serial number list below. I want to let everyone here know what this is about, so I will cross post this to threads that have discussed the Cobalt.

Basically, Atomic found a few instances where a nut that retains the high pressure sensor had not been sufficiently tightened in assembly. Eventually this could result in the O-ring that seals the sensor to high pressure leaking HP air into the Cobalt's housing, blowing the lens off. If it happened during a dive, the Cobalt would be destroyed, and there would be a small but unstoppable air leak. While this has turned up in only a small number of units, and so far as I know has only happened on the surface, it's obviously a serious concern that warrants checking every Cobalt that could potentially be affected.

Fortunately, it's an easy thing to check for. If the nut isn't tight enough, the QD fitting will protrude a bit too far from the Cobalt's case. Atomic has made simple gauges for dealers to use to quickly determine if a Cobalt has the problem. If not, it will get a new top cover to indicate it has been checked. If it does show evidence of a problem, it will need to go back to the factory to re-torque the fitting. Atomic thinks that will be very rare, but we don't really know until we start checking large numbers.

I'm pasting Atomic's recall letter below.

Ron

IMPORTANT NOTICE! Cobalt Dive Computer Recall

Date: 9-18-12

Dear Atomic Aquatics Customer

We are contacting you because we have initiated a recall on certain Cobalt Dive Computers. Although we hope the percentage of units with this problem is small, the defect is serious enough that we feel it is necessary to recall and inspect as many units as possible to ensure customer safety and satisfaction. Fortunately the defect is easy to identify and we hope that you will cooperate with us by returning your Cobalt to either an authorized Atomic Aquatics retailer or to the factory.

Hazard: Improper assembly of the high pressure sensor inside the unit could leak, potentially causing the lens of the computer to blow off suddenly. This could result in personal injury from flying parts; render the computer inoperable and would also create a continuous but slow leak of breathing gas that could require a diver to surface prematurely.

Incidents/Injuries: Atomic Aquatics has received approximately 30 reports of leaks and in some cases caused the lens to blow off of the computer. No injuries have been reported.

Affected units: This recall involves Atomic Aquatics brand Cobalt dive computers with serial numbers 2210-XXXX through 1612-XXXX (manufactured between May 31, 2010 and April 16, 2012). Manufacture date can be determined by the serial number. The first 2 digits of the serial number are the week of manufacture and the second 2 digits are the year of manufacture. Cobalts shipped after the 1612-XXXX date code end date (approximately May 2012) do not need to be inspected and are not affected by this recall. Having a Cobalt in the affected unit serial number does not mean it is defective, but that it should be inspected for the defect.

Here is a list of all serial date lots made during the affected period. Look for the first four digits with the following numbers: 2210, 2910, 4010, 4710, 5010, 1111, 1711, 2611, 2811, 3211, 3311, 3411, 3511, 3611, 3711, 3811, 3911, 4011, 4111, 4211, 4511, 4611, 5211, 0812, 1112, 1212, 1312, 1412, 1612

What you should do: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled dive computers and return the unit to either an authorized Atomic Aquatics dealer or the Atomic Aquatics factory for inspection. Inspection is a quick and simple process. If your Cobalt passes this inspection it will be returned to you. If not, it must be returned to the factory for repair.

Hello Atomic followers….To answer everyone’s concerns inregards to the Cobalt recall, Yes, we have been working with the CPSC on issuing a recall for certain Cobalt computers. Here is a link to the jointpress release:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12286.html

I have also attached the consumer letter, Poster with affected Cobalt Computer serial numbers, and Joint Press Release.
If you need to contact us for any reason, feel free to privatemessage us on Scubaboard, email us at
sales@atomicaquatics.com,or call us at 888-270-8595.

The inspection process to determine whether you have an affected Cobalt is quick and easy. Our dealers are currently receiving kits that contain the tool to inspect and information regarding the procedure. Please keep in mind that not every computer in the recall range will in fact need to be sent in. We expect only a few units to have this problem.

FB Press Release 1.jpgFB Press Release 2.jpgFB Poster Image.jpgFB Consumer Letter.jpg

There should probably be something up on the first page of your website. Or at least on the Press Releases page...

Just got back from having my Cobalt tested for the recall, it did not have the problem. Total time to get it done was 10 - 15 minutes while I waited. Looks like Atomic may have increased the strength of the attachment arc on the top with the new cover. All in all was not a big deal for me.

Not a big deal, but this will be my second time to return a computer along with the failure underwater of my atomic mask. Now two computers need to be checked. Not feeling real good about Atomic right now. Wife just sold her aqualung reg, wanting to replace with an Atomic. May look at other brands for the regulator.

Atomic has some great equipment. Their regulators are fantastic, however if you travel and have a problem with it ( unlikely) you may have trouble getting it serviced , especially in remote locations. Aqualung, Apeks are great, easy to service and you can find someone to repair it with parts most anywhere. My choice is Apeks, bullet proof, never a problem. I dive with Aqualung and Apeks. The Cobalt definately has some growing pains. Nice computer, great service ( if in USA / Canada). As long as Atomic stands up to their known problems don't worry. Gonna miss my Cobalt for a month or so.....

Ron, The Atomic Cobalt recall has to do with the "High Pressure SENSOR"; not the high pressure connector as you state in your post.

---------- Post Merged at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Nelsonrl: Atomic is one of those 'brand names' (like Apple Computer) in which everyone assumes by the high price that it must be the best stuff made.
I had to Atomic Regulators. The first one went back to the dealer twice because it made noise when I breathed through it. After going to the dealer twice and the noise still existed, I sent it to Atomic twice. After the second time to Atomic, Atomic replaced it with a brand new one. I had problems with the new one. To make sure that the problem wasn't with me, I let a few other people use the regulator and it was bad for them as well. I sold the regulator on Ebay, got an Oceanic EOS and life has been good ever after.
Then, just recently, I decided to get a fancy-schmansy Cobalt computer. One of the buttons didn't work on the computer, so it is in now getting that fixed along with the pressure sensor recall.
The computer is VERY cool. But, I must say that with Atomic, you don't get what you pay for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom