April conditions in Venice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlabamaExile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My family and I are heading to Florida in April and I will probably be visiting family in the Arcadia area. I thought I might try to slip in a sharks tooth dive in Venice since it is not too far away. Are the conditions acceptable for diving the boneyard that time of year? I know from experience fishing off Everglades City that March and April can be a little windy and the water can become quite murky. How is the Venice sharks tooth diving that time of year? I'm not worried about cold weather, just acceptable viz for looking for teeth.

Thanks,

AE

Generally speaking april is a great time for diving in Venice. The water hasn't warmed up enough for the algae to bloom, and the frontal systems have slowed down so there are more days of favorable winds. Last year in april we had several days with great viz (10+). Watch the weather and keep track of wind directions (east winds are preferred).

I was in Venice last month. The water was really crappy. I was told it had been that way most of the winter. Have the conditions gotten any better for boat or beach diving? I will be in Venice early March and hope to get some diving in.

Unless you're into black water diving, the beachfront has been undiveable. 5 day of the week we have had 4-6 foot+ seas, crashing surf, 20+ MPH west winds and 0" viz. This has been pretty much the pattern for the last 10 weeks. El Nino has reeked havoc on the west florida coast. The good news is that after all these weather systems pass the fossil diving should be great. Storms +high surf +bad viz =plenty of newly uncovered fossils when the the weather/viz improves!

I was in Venice last month. The water was really crappy. I was told it had been that way most of the winter. Have the conditions gotten any better for boat or beach diving? I will be in Venice early March and hope to get some diving in.

:eyebrow:You aren't the only one who's looking to get some dives in! Like Mike says, it's been pretty yucky. Keep an eye on the Dive Reports Sticky & that will give you an idea as March draws near.:D

I will be headed down there in April to get my "venice tooth fix".:cool2: hoping to rack, so leave some for me and my buds......please.:mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom