Appropriate thermal protection for Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lackingcreativity

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I will be out there on the 7-8th of July and was just hoping on getting some advise on thermal protection. Yes, I know it does vary from diver to diver so please don't bring that point up,
Thanks

We dove Flower Gardens last year around the same time frame and used a 3 mil full suit. It was more than adequate. You'll really enjoy the dives there. I still rate Flower Gardens as the best diving I've done.

Just got back 2 weeks ago from the FG.....I wore as I always do in the ocean a full 3mil and reef gloves (temps were from 84f to 77f),,,,,,some divings wore shorties and a few 5mil fulls. Have a good time!!

If it were me, I'd take my half mil jump suit & 3mm shorty. By August, just the .5mm is enough.

We had some pretty strange temp changes in the water columd....from 84 to 77 in diagn. swims. There were jellies in the water so a full is a good bet for protection and for protection again corals if you accd. brush one. If you make all 5 first day dives,,,,remember your body core will not fully recover its lost heat by the last few dives so if you are cold-natured a dive skin may not keep you warm enough.

I'll be there on the 7 and 8th also. Which boat are you on. I think I am on the Spree. I'm bringing a skin and my 3 mil full suit just in case.

Judy

lackingcreativity:
Hi,
I will be out there on the 7-8th of July and was just hoping on getting some advise on thermal protection. Yes, I know it does vary from diver to diver so please don't bring that point up,
Thanks

3mm is fine. Bring a beanie if you start getting chilled. I tend to get cold on the 4th and 5th dives of the day.

DO NOT FORGET YOUR GLOVES. Reef gloves are fine.

TwoBit

jstuart1:
I'll be there on the 7 and 8th also. Which boat are you on. I think I am on the Spree. I'm bringing a skin and my 3 mil full suit just in case.

Judy

I'm also going to be out on the spree. What dive shop are you going with?

I'm going with WW Diving out of Humble, Tx. Who are you going with?

lackingcreativity:
I'm also going to be out on the spree. What dive shop are you going with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom