Apollo bio fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leahhhsoo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone,

I've got a cressi drylastic and looking at getting a pair of fins. A friend of mine is using apollo bio fins and said that it is a good kind of heavy for a drysuit, especially for female divers. This is my first time buying fins so it would be reallyy helpful if I could get some advice! Thanks xx

ive never used them but I've heard good things. They are split fins though. Harder to do kicks like backward kick, if that matters to you.

I love mine, but I use a wetsuit, so I can not speak to their performance using a drysuit. They are not an inexpensive fin, so I recommend borrowing a pair to try out before you sink your money into a fin that you do not like or does not meet your needs. Actually, the same advice goes for any high quality expensive fin that you might be considering.

Let me preface this by saying I am a bit of a fin freak. At last count, I own seventeen pairs of fins. Catching up to Imelda Marcos very quickly…

I dived with Apollo Bio fins for about ten years, with wetsuits and a drysuit. They were my primary fins. Speaking in general terms, they worked fine for me, and I had a lot of confidence in them. Like Altamira, I loved them.

When I first tried my Apollos I was surprised how little water resistance I felt. It took a little getting used to. That said, they always gave me all the power and forward momentum I asked for.

If I remember correctly, the Apollo split design was innovative at that time, and was very popular here on the USA West Coast. They are a good solidly built fin, and very durable. I don't think the look or design has ever changed much. They are easy to take on and off in surf, and get even better with the installation of spring straps. That said, they have been around a long time, but that's not always a bad thing.

A few years ago, with the emergence of technical diving, split fins fell into disfavor around here. The knock on them was backward finning was ineffective, and they are not good with the frog kick (both de rigueur in tech and cave diving). I eventually switched from my Apollos to a solid blade fin similar to a Jet fin, which I have come to prefer for my day-to-day non-travel diving. In the end I gave one set of my Apollos to a new diver in need of gear, and the other pair I donated to a local scuba swap meet event.

My advice is the same as Altamira's. Try to find someone willing to loan you a pair for a day or two of diving and try them out before you buy. Keep in mind that if you haven't dived a split fin before they will feel a little strange. If you like them, look around on the web. I bet you'll be able to pick up a second-hand pair at a good price.

As an alternative, I would suggest considering the ScubaPro SeaWing fins, which are more contemporary and today's most innovative fin design, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I've used mine for well over a decade and love them. They are heavy so when I travel I take my ancient US Divers Blades.

I've got several pairs, have dove them for many years, they're simple, comfortable, reliable, effective, indestructable, proven design. Being solid rubber, they're a bit heavier than the average fin today. They're available in different 'durometers' (hardness of rubber compound) so buy the XT versions if you want/need a firmer/stiffer compound. They are much easier (lower effort) to fin than most fins because they don't overwork your ankles like so many other fins do.

Just bought a pair of the Apollo bio fins in medium. Found that for me these and "soft" boots give me the least resistance and good propulsion. At first I was sure I wanted a stiffer fin. But I tried a few types and for me anyway they felt the best.

I wouldn't consider myself typical of what the average diver likes though. It was good to hear that some others here like them.

I love my Apollo Bio-Fin Unis, which are full-foot versions of the Apollo Bio. This fin model is now marketed by Gull Marine Sports of Japan. You can order a pair online from Marinetone of Hong Kong, who ship them very quickly anywhere in the world:
gf2443.jpg

GULL-bio-fin uni

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom