Apocalypse now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faceless - it's hardly the sub $1000 rebreather that it was touted to be

almity1 - why did you end up going down the RB route?

Not necessarily in this order....

1. The Photography angle and Wildlife Interaction
  2. Allowing more time underwater, refer above #1
  3. The efficient use of gas
  4. Longer Dive Times and Less Deco obligation refer above #1
  5. Picking your set point or Partial Pressure
  6. Trying a different type of diving
  7. The ability to go deeper with minimal upgrade and cost eg TRIMIX

At this point I have only dived within Rec Limits, and that was my intention all along regardless of the unit.

What initially got me interested was being involved with a video - photo shoot with a crew from National Geographic crew while they were filming the Grey Nurse Sharks in Sydney about 5-6 years ago.

All the crew were diving Inspos and I was their guide. As I got talking to them the reasons the reasons for usings RB was mentioned above and only a few of them went deep or have been deep with a RB at that point of time.

I have no regrets and once you are over the buyers remorse and your buoyancy issues, you can describe RB diving as "frictionless", you will be surprise, breathing in out out in OC holds you back in the water column.

But thinking back, maybe it may have been a good idea to get 2 Sports KISS's and getting my wife involved as well.

.....But thinking back, maybe it may have been a good idea to get 2 Sports KISS's and getting my wife involved as well.

:eyebrow: one day maybe but ive yet to even try hubbys unit yet

i will say i like the look of the KISS because all the "stuff" seems to be out of the way but time will tell......

At this point I have only dived within Rec Limits, and that was my intention all along regardless of the unit
Depth limits or time limits?
So you're essentially using your RB to maximise your bottom time in recreational limits on recreational dives?

this is the first i've heard of Helium sensors, can some corroborate?
Just there to verify the gas being breathed opensafety.eu/datasheets/RB_monitor_081020.pdf "Built in helium
sensor can be used to analyse make-up-gas."

faceless - it's hardly the sub $1000 rebreather that it was touted to be

Er, provided you expected it to be a US$ sub $1k rebreather it still is, with the inclusive package made up of:
BOV
ADV
Wing
Rebreather Loop
Shell
Harness
mCCR O2 system
O2 cylinder with integrated 1st stage valve
diluent (MUG) 1st stage
counterweight
shipping crate etc etc for US$995
opensafety.eu/index.php?cPath=3_25
opensafety.eu/datasheets/Apocalypse_Type_IV_datasheet_081021.pdf

Sure the PPo2 monitoring is extra, but you can fit the Monitor with the Co2 monitoring et al or make the Apocalypse mCCR an eCCR by fitting an Occams Razor to it grpservices.com/stuff/newproducts.htm or more specifically grpservices.com/stuff/occamsrazor.jpg

Regards
Brad

You must be breathless from all the forums you have to visit Brad :wink:
clarification - i don't/didn't expect anything from it at all.
From what i remember, wasn't one of it's early selling points going to be that it was a sub $1000 dollar RB? That's where my comment came from as it was my understanding.
The ppO2 monitoring is extra, no doubt. I wouldn't think many would use a RB without monitoring though yeah? So its not really a 1000 buck, out of the box, jump in the water and become immediatly fabulous... unless you want to get all twitchy

You must be breathless from all the forums you have to visit Brad :wink:
clarification - i don't/didn't expect anything from it at all.
From what i remember, wasn't one of it's early selling points going to be that it was a sub $1000 dollar RB? That's where my comment came from as it was my understanding.
The ppO2 monitoring is extra, no doubt. I wouldn't think many would use a RB without monitoring though yeah? So its not really a 1000 buck, out of the box, jump in the water and become immediatly fabulous... unless you want to get all twitchy
Er, have been online here for 4yrs just havn't bothered to post...
Err, early selling point was that it was to be a sub US$1k CCR - the Apoc mCCR is US$995.
Yes the monitoring is extra (always has been):
- You then have the choice to use the DL/OS elecs ~$1500
or unlike any other CCR off the shelf
- you can choose from Shearwater(narkedat90)/HammerHead/Liquidvision for PPo2 monitoring or eCCR elecs.
- if you don't want that, fit any other form of PPo2 monitoring

I would be quite happy to receive and Apoc mCCR fill it with gas and dive it as a CCR for 3hrs...
Think about it: Your receiving a 100% complete mCCR, fill the cylinders with Oxygen and your good to dive to 8m, so you can happily have it out of the box, fill cylinders and go diving.

regards
brad

........Your receiving a 100% complete mCCR, fill the cylinders with Oxygen and your good to dive to 8m, so you can happily have it out of the box, fill cylinders and go diving.

regards
brad

:shakehead: i hope thats not going to be your market campaign for this.........

That may be OK from your where you are standing....

To get things into OZ things basically double in price.
Very good calculation.
Now, try to do the same for example for Meg Copis, or rEVO or KISS etc...
Don't forget about special monitor features like full gas sensing, WOB monitoring, innovative ALBOV.
Of course, everybody would like to buy a Porche for 1 dollar :)
But it's a real world. Such an imbalance is impossible.
A unit twice cheap than even a KISS, with innovative PPO2 & CO2 monitoring, lowest WOB, weighing below 20 kg, imho very worth considering.

Main PITA here will be availability & price for consumables like EAC.
I hope by the time when first users will get their units, this will be resolved, there's a promise establish local EAC distribution centres across world.

Correct...
Cheers mate, might hit you up via PM with a couple of questions... just for personal interest!

brad - my comment was tongue in cheek with the amount of questions you've been answering lately, clearly the humour was lost on the information super highway.
I'm not getting into the rest of it because as i said earlier, i'm not all that interested. I was just making mention that the way i've heard about this unit (several times) is the low price point being it's selling point, with the co2 sensor a close second.
Onwards to your next battle!

Back
Top Bottom