Apeks XTX Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
Nada eh? So they just gave them a face lift and introduced an odd looking second stage?! Is that it?

One change that would be nice is adding a second HP port to the DS4

Well actually....:D
The XTX regulators can be converted from a right handed hose configuration (as supplied from the APEKS factory in the standard) to a left handed one. This feature is known as the Reversible Venturi System (RVS). Changing the regulator to a left handed configuration is both quick and simple and can be performed by any APEKS Authorised Service Technician.

PaulChristenson:
The XTX regulators can be converted from a right handed hose configuration (as supplied from the APEKS factory in the standard) to a left handed one. This feature is known as the Reversible Venturi System (RVS). Changing the regulator to a left handed configuration is both quick and simple and can be performed by any APEKS Authorised Service Technician.

Imho, this RVS is rather pointless but I guess Apeks has received enough demands for second stages that can route from the left...

PaulChristenson:

But, have you ever worn any jackets that have both outshell sides? It used to be useless in my opinion. It is a good feature on the begining, but after deciding the preference, I don't think it gives any attraction... Of course, just my 2 psi....eyebrow

The WOB numbers on the XTX regs is supposed to be even lower than the TX/ATX, IIRC mostly due to the redesign work on the second stages. Although Phil (see above) did some testing and posted it on TDL that concludes the ATX and XTX second stages perform similarly in real-world testing.

Personally, I want an FST (or two, or four) first stage with four 3/8" ports. :D

hoosier:
But, have you ever worn any jackets that have both outshell sides? It used to be useless in my opinion. It is a good feature on the begining, but after deciding the preference, I don't think it gives any attraction... Of course, just my 2 psi....eyebrow

Its for when you dive doubles...:D

PaulChristenson:
Its for when you dive doubles...:D

Okidoki....If then, it is DIR approved?:wink:

StSomewhere:
The WOB numbers on the XTX regs is supposed to be even lower than the TX/ATX, IIRC mostly due to the redesign work on the second stages. Although Phil (see above) did some testing and posted it on TDL that concludes the ATX and XTX second stages perform similarly in real-world testing.

Personally, I want an FST (or two, or four) first stage with four 3/8" ports. :D

I was trying to figure out the WOB numbers for the ATX series to compare with that of the XTX, then I realized that someone has asked the exact question before (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=95707), just couldn't find anything closer to that question. Do you?

Some of you have made the point that the changes for the new 2nd stage doesn't make it a whole lot better, I also agree that real-world testing is ultimate test. On the other hand, I think Apeks has at least tried to response to some of the requests like: the port size, the bubble interference, the cover (recall 2001: http://www.cdnn.info/recall/apeks_011111/apeks_011111.html ), the wob in turn to the "muscle regulator"... etc.
If you tell me some Apeks related people are reading this forum, I wouldn't be surprised.

Practically, what do you think they can do, i.e. something concrete, feedback to the design spec in order to make the next product convincing?
I have heard about more ports with the desired pressue and port size, for example, what else?

If the sales information can be trusted, the second stage was redesigned and exhaling is easier due to the new exhaust valve. That seems to be part of where the better WOB numbers come from. For my part, my TX50 gives me all the air I've ever needed, so I don't know how much is useful and how much is over-engineering that you'd never detect in the real world. That's why Phil's test on TDS was so useful, IMO. Pop over there and read it if you haven't already.

As to the ports, the 1/2" connector is mostly a nuisance, something people wind up having to work around. It'll be nice if all of their first stages go to the 3/8" industry standard, but I read elsewhere that Apeks would be required to resubmit all existing reg models like the TX, ATX, etc. in Europe for new WOB/CE testing if they changed the port for existing models. That would at least explain why only the new models are getting away from that one 1/2" port.

I've seen at least one design engineer from Apeks that occasionally reads the UK scuba message boards, and we had an Apeks employee login here on SB once or twice asking for input.

CDNN, well, hmm.... Maybe not my first choice for information... :wink:

StSomewhere:
If the sales information can be trusted, the second stage was redesigned and exhaling is easier due to the new exhaust valve. That seems to be part of where the better WOB numbers come from. For my part, my TX50 gives me all the air I've ever needed, so I don't know how much is useful and how much is over-engineering that you'd never detect in the real world. That's why Phil's test on TDS was so useful, IMO. Pop over there and read it if you haven't already.

As to the ports, the 1/2" connector is mostly a nuisance, something people wind up having to work around. It'll be nice if all of their first stages go to the 3/8" industry standard, but I read elsewhere that Apeks would be required to resubmit all existing reg models like the TX, ATX, etc. in Europe for new WOB/CE testing if they changed the port for existing models. That would at least explain why only the new models are getting away from that one 1/2" port.

I've seen at least one design engineer from Apeks that occasionally reads the UK scuba message boards, and we had an Apeks employee login here on SB once or twice asking for input.

If I were Apeks I would feel the urge to improve the WOB, the product is expensive and it's always rated in such a way that they are "almost as good" as the others, in terms of that. Then even for the ATX200 vs. ATX100, even though the breath rate is impossible but still.. it makes it look like that they have never tested them at that rate (stress test). I don't mean they did it on purpose, but... maybe I'm too sensitive. Anyway, hope there will be more feedback from the others, or, is it like most people does not wish Apeks to build better products? Because it's a non-US product? Strange... The "Diver Awards" (for the ATX) is a world wild award, right?
Sorry, just curious, don't mean to upset anybody...

What was the purpose of the 1/2" anyway, sorry, I am not to familar with the standards.

Come on! This is not a very constructive comment:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom