Apeks XTX 50 honking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just dove with my brand new Apeks XTX50 DST. Breaths very well at depths but at surface honks loudly. Any thoughts what's wrong? Should I be worried? I have another week of diving in Curaçao and obviously can't get to me LDS

---------- Post added ----------

Honks both inhale and exhale. Feels more resistance above water than below. Played with flow valves already

My XTX 50's are brand new, just set up by a tech dive shop and they do this on the surface. First time I breathed them in air I was shocked. After first service and setup they are the same. As far as I know this is how they are. Other comments on this?

Stano

Dry diaphragm vibrating. Common and nothing to worry about.

Try a quick vacuum test. Try to breathe in from the reg without it being attached to an air source. If you can breathe in, the diaphragm is probably not sealing properly. If it locks up, then it's doing fine.

Last edited:
Forget about it, in some circumstances it happens on the surface. I a have at least 4 seconds stages resonating on the surface 1 scubapro 2 zeagles and 1 apeks. nothing to worry about.

As others have said its not uncommon, as long as it's holding vacuum I wouldn't worry. I own XTX50s and mine will "honk" out of water but once under no problem.

Have some one who 'knows' take off the front cover and there is a plastic retaining ring that holds the diaphragm in place....Make sure the diaphragm isn't 'wrinkled' slightly and properly seated in the housing...Put the ring back on and carefully screw the cover back on....Simple fix that should stop the 'honking'......FYI, if they are still using the chrome plated retaining rings [chrome has no real practical function, you can see it thru the cover], get rid of it at some point and get a non-plated one....Salt water corrodes the chrome plating over time and flakes off inside the housing....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom