apeks tungsten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
apeks came out with a new cosmetic version of their flagship atx 200. looks sweet. im planning on selling my xtreme to get this. its a tight choice got my gf the black pearl a month ago and i seem to like both? which would you guys choose? i know they are all atx 200s but what?

I have the Black Pearl and a 'normal' ATX200, which is black-coated, as it was one of the first ones they produced. Performance-wise, there isn't any difference, and it is the same with the Tungsten, which I just got. So, performance isn't an issue, it is all about looks. The Tungsten does catch the eye, with the same VPD finish on it as the Pearl, albeit a duller, grey colour and, because it is not limited edition, you will be able to get hold of one. Apeks in the UK are all out of Pearls, so any left in shops, you've got the last few – once they are gone, they're gone!

Mark

Two words:

Bling bling!

I guess if you have $$ to throw around, it's nice to have the prettiest reg you can buy... but geeeez.

You can get two ATX50/DS4's and a brass/glass SPG for less than a Black Pearl with one second stage. The second stages on these are all identical ATX50/ATX100/ATX200, minus some cosmetics. The first stages are functionally identical. If it were me I'd go with the ATX50/DS4's and use the savings toward a good light.

I agree that the ATX200 isn't the cheapest reg on the market and that other regs in the Apeks range perform similarly, but the Black Pearl was only about £60 more over here than the standard, and the Tungsten (which I've only got on loan, by the way, even I don't need three regs!) is only £40 more. I like the hose routing on the ATX first stage, and its compact size. Yes, it does cost a bit more, but it is a durable, high-performing reg and I like it.

MarkUK:
I have the Black Pearl and a 'normal' ATX200, which is black-coated, as it was one of the first ones they produced. Performance-wise, there isn't any difference, and it is the same with the Tungsten, which I just got. So, performance isn't an issue, it is all about looks. The Tungsten does catch the eye, with the same VPD finish on it as the Pearl, albeit a duller, grey colour and, because it is not limited edition, you will be able to get hold of one. Apeks in the UK are all out of Pearls, so any left in shops, you've got the last few – once they are gone, they're gone!

Mark

there are so many black pearls down here. mmm having a hard pick!

MarkUK:
I agree that the ATX200 isn't the cheapest reg on the market and that other regs in the Apeks range perform similarly, but the Black Pearl was only about £60 more over here than the standard, and the Tungsten (which I've only got on loan, by the way, even I don't need three regs!) is only £40 more. I like the hose routing on the ATX first stage, and its compact size. Yes, it does cost a bit more, but it is a durable, high-performing reg and I like it.

the black pearl and the tungsten are equally prices around $400 which is around $40 more than the atx 200s. cosmetics are important:) i was thinking about the ds4/atx50 but i got an extra atomics which i plan to use for my doubles setup.

You've got lots of Black Pearls near you? They must have bought a few, because there were only 4,000 made for worldwide distribution and the factory haven't got any more, and they are getting scarce in shops in the UK. Must have all ended up in the Philippines!

Mark :D

MarkUK:
You've got lots of Black Pearls near you? They must have bought a few, because there were only 4,000 made for worldwide distribution and the factory haven't got any more, and they are getting scarce in shops in the UK. Must have all ended up in the Philippines!

Mark :D

one shop here has around 25 sets both in din and yoke. i most likely will get one set. btw i purchased one fpr my girl a month ago and shes totally happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom