Problem with Apeks XTX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feseroni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys,

New to the forum but long time lurker. I'm looking for some guidance on what to do.

First some background. 4 years ago I bought a Apeks XTX200 Tungsten in the UK, I then moved to Panama and used there extensively. Then moved to the United States (I'm an Expat and move a lot) and COVID hit and pretty much all diving stopped.

I recently started inspecting my scuba equipment and found some stains/decoloration on my regulator (please see pic attached). I contacted Apeks and they were of no help and told me that I'm pretty much out of luck since it's out of warranty. The customer representative mentioned that "once the chrome platting is gone they cannot do anything about it". PDV coating is different than chrome platting.

What can/should I do? I think the damage is mostly cosmetic but to be honest one of the reasons I bought the tungsten version is because it has the PVD coating. I never had issues with chrome plating in the past.

So far I think my only option is to get it inspected to see if there is any damage inside the regulator and move to another brand that offers international warranty.

Thanks in advance for any recomendation or learnings that you might have from this.

1640190977706.png

When was the last time you had it serviced? Or have you never had it serviced?

When was the last time you had it serviced? Or have you never had it serviced?
November 2019, a couple of months before moving to the states.

First off, don’t worry about it and second why has diving stopped?

It looks like the tarnish is only on the outside and it is doubtful there is any issues inside the regulator but you can have it serviced to be sure...I have the regular Apeks XTX 200 and it is a great regulator

First off, don’t worry about it and second why has diving stopped?
That's what I'm thinking, it looks like a patina now lol. Diving has stopped because I am in the middle of Missouri with no nearby diving spots but I'm planning on changing that soon.

It looks like the tarnish is only on the outside and it is doubtful there is any issues inside the regulator but you can have it serviced to be sure...I have the regular Apeks XTX 200 and it is a great regulator

The xtx200 has been flawless except for this. My only complain is with the service I got from Apeks which was pretty much none. I'm going to get it serviced anyways since has been more than a year and it has been stored for a long time.

That's what I'm thinking, it looks like a patina now lol. Diving has stopped because I am in the middle of Missouri with no nearby diving spots but I'm planning on changing that soon.
That’s a long way from any place, face north and head in any direction until you hit water.

Nothing to worry about except your next destination(work).
If you can get hold of service kit(1st and 2nd), DIY.
It is pretty easy and there are plenty of info here and also on youtube. it is NOT rocket science.
The only special tool: 2 C-spanners. And of course your time and elbow grease.
Intermediate Pressure Gauge is extremely useful to monitor your 1st stage.

Back
Top Bottom