Apeks RK3 Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I dived (not 'dove') my Apeks RK3 fins today. I really rate them. Someone has listened to divers' feedback and made some jet fins / jet fin style fins in a softer, lighter and pliable substance. They are really light and work well with my drysuit and I would use these fins (in a smaller size for my wetsuit boots - so another pair necessary) in warm water / for holiday. They have the shift power of really stiff fins (Mares Quattro Plana Avant etc., trad. Jet fins + Scubapro Seawing Nova) but the ease of use and lack of resistance in the water of a split fin. I really rate them.

I just bought a pair last weekend, so haven't tried them yet. However just holding them, they are much much lighter than any other jet fin I've held before. That was a big factor that made me buy them, not only will they be better on leg strain, but they wont weigh so much in my luggage, as I'm often flying to my dive destinations. I'm looking forward to my next dive. :)

Hi, I dived (not 'dove') my Apeks RK3 fins today. I really rate them. Someone has listened to divers' feedback and made some jet fins / jet fin style fins in a softer, lighter and pliable substance. They are really light and work well with my drysuit and I would use these fins (in a smaller size for my wetsuit boots - so another pair necessary) in warm water / for holiday. They have the shift power of really stiff fins (Mares Quattro Plana Avant etc., trad. Jet fins + Scubapro Seawing Nova) but the ease of use and lack of resistance in the water of a split fin. I really rate them.

Quick question Scubawookiee, what size did you order them (compared to your shoe size)? Are you using them with regular boots or with drysuit boots?

I am getting myself some but don't know if getting them Large is Okay. I use like a 9 - 9 1/2 US size and will be using them only with wetsuit boots.

CBK, I got the largest size they do 'Super' which fit my drsuit boots (UK size 13). My feet are a UK 11.5 - 12 and I wear thick quilted weezle bootees under my drysuit. Not sure how a US 9 - 9.5 will translate to my UK sizing but I'll be getting a smaller size for use with wetsuit + boots. The manufacturers recommends trying and going with what works best. I top a punt mail ordering and it worked out but I knew I'd need the biggest size for my drysuit boots. Good luck with your sizing.

CBK, I got the largest size they do 'Super' which fit my drsuit boots (UK size 13). My feet are a UK 11.5 - 12 and I wear thick quilted weezle bootees under my drysuit. Not sure how a US 9 - 9.5 will translate to my UK sizing but I'll be getting a smaller size for use with wetsuit + boots. The manufacturers recommends trying and going with what works best. I top a punt mail ordering and it worked out but I knew I'd need the biggest size for my drysuit boots. Good luck with your sizing.
Thanks Scubawookie. I talked to my regional aqua lung sales manager and he recommended large. We'll see how it goes

why ignore the Hog? Their fins are made in the same factory/moulds as the fins that Poseidon and UTD are selling, their regulators are coming out of the same factory that Dive Rite and Hollis are buying their regulators, their wings coming out of the same facilities as Hollis and Dive Rite *different facilities for each DR is in the US, Hollis over seas*. If you believe in that statement, then you must rule out the products from those brands as well
TBone, I was just wondering. Are you sure Apeks doesn't manufacter ALL their new line of wings, their new fins and their drysuits? Because they sure do a lot of marketing in their facebook showing pictures and everything of the in-house processes.

Hey CBK, you're most welcome. They're really good fins, in fact the nicest I think I've used. All the best.

Hi
Anybody have experience between Apeks RK3 vs UTD Precision Naturally Bouyant fin ?
Which one has better handling and maneuverability ?

Cheers
Andy

I saw the RK3 this week, but didn't try them.

@andhig The UTD neutral buoyancy fins have a very badly-designed foot pocket if you plan to dive them in warm water with soft booties. It cuts into your skin, don't buy it!! Check out my thread - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-and-snorkels/485700-foot-pocket-problem.html

Has anyone here used both the Hollis F2 and the RK3? Would like to hear how they compare.

FWIW... We just got a pair of the RK3's into the shop, and they are lighter than Aqualung's Rockets, and are a decidedly more flexible material. Have a feeling that they would be a good fin for somebody who wants the control of the Rocket, but perhaps with a little less strain on the legs.

We had a large in-stock, and for my size 9 foot, in a 3mm soft soled boot (Aqua Lung Ergo) it was a bit too big. Switching to a 6mm Bare Ice Boot (thick hard sole) it felt like a perfect fit. Probably be ok for me with a 5mm soft sole boot, especially one with a strap keeper on the back.

I'm seriously thinking that if they are still on the floor on the 15, they will be in my bag on the 16th. Retail on them are 160, so with my discounts and shop credits, even if I hate them, it won't be an expensive experiment.

Hope this helps

Steve

Back
Top Bottom