Apeks RK3 Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Gaucho223

which is fine, but since I work in the textile industry and am very familiar with that process, I can 100% say that your analogy was incorrect considering the tire brands don't use OEM's, they are manufacturers themselves. Better automotive analogy is the seating business which is almost all done by various OEM's

I just got back from a 4 day trek in cave country and put ~12 hours of diving on a pair of prototype Deep6 fins. Had the production XL's and prototype XXL's. We had them in the water with OMS Slipstreams and my normal pair of fins which are Dive Rite XT's. I can unequivocally say they are the best fins I have ever put on my feet. The overall balance of size/weight/stiffness is spot on and the fin pockets are like nothing else on the market. Once the negatively buoyant version comes out for doubles, IMHO there really isn't a need to look at any other fins if you are in the market....

...Comparative analogies are not supposed to be accurate--only reflective of distinctions presented...

:facepalm:

Back to the OP. I haven't tried the RK3, but note that its form is the same as the old rockets. So, you can look around the forums and the web at feedback about the rocket fins. When I was considering these fins, I was disappointed to learn that the rocket was generally a lot slower than jet fins and their copies. For that reason, and because I was looking for a very light fins (for sidemount) I looked to the OMS slipstreams, which are very smooth in the water, easier to flutter kick than the diverites (but who flutters anymore!?), but they have a weird habit of deforming on the pocket. If I were to order again, I might go for the deepsix fin instead. I'm currently debating between my slipstreams or sticking with my trusty old diverites, which may be a bit faster but also longer. I will decide after a trip with the new slipstreams, where I'll get a chance to assess their durability.

Can anyone tell me what size RK3's to buy?

I'm a UK size 11.5.

I do both cold and warm water diving so will use both a dry suit and wet suit booties.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I'm aware they only come in three sizes. They run small. I used the mediums (smallest) I'm a 7 (just) I'd think you'd be the XXL (largest) now whether they'd fit both wet and dry boots is another question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom