Apeks regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The configuration I describe is just the typical twinset config with an extra transmitter. Why would I change which side I put my proper SPG? Using two DS4s with the HP from the right post would surely lead to an HP hose pointing up unless the DS4 was rotated?

To be clear I am describing left and right from the point of view of the person wearing the set.

My view is that the AI is just a nice to have and doesn't justify to much messing with an already working setup.
1. I was only refering your suggestion to the op that both regs should be in "same orientation" as the left post as shown on the picture.
2. It has nothing to do with your own rigging.
3. There is only one meaning for left or right post for BM twin set. It is from the point of view of the diver wearing the set unless specify.

1. I was only refering your suggestion to the op that both regs should be in "same orientation" as the left post as shown on the picture.

Fair enough, although I would characterise it more as an option and a reason against than a suggestion. I couldn't find an acceptable way with two ds4s.

How would putting the SPG on the right help - which orientation of the ds4 would be needed? I'd have imagined that the hp hose would still route very badly - almost straight up.

Ken

Fair enough, although I would characterise it more as an option and a reason against than a suggestion. I couldn't find an acceptable way with two ds4s.

How would putting the SPG on the right help - which orientation of the ds4 would be needed? I'd have imagined that the hp hose would still route very badly - almost straight up.

Ken
I dived with 2 x DS4 for many yrs, the configuration shown on the picture is more or less the only acceptable way.
But if one is going to use the HP port on the "right" reg as well as not wishing anything pointing up. Then the only orientation of the reg should be the same as the left ie. inclined towards the left side. The HP hose comes over the left shoulder and clipp off the left chest D-ring. Another way would be the HP hose comes down between the wing and the tank and then clipp off on the left waist D-ring. The long hose would indeed route very badly. A 360 degree swivel would certainly help.
A DST on the right post would be a better option.

And that is exactly what I'm going for.

Anyone have any pictures of their transmitters?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395899071.040818.jpg

Sorry about the darkness...
The yellow hose is the primary, long hose. The lp feed from the right post towards the left post is sitting a bit high and you can just see the hose to the backup reg below it next to the wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the regulator on the right post looks like a DST which das 2 HP ports, whereas the DS4 only has 1

View attachment 180609

Sorry about the darkness...
The yellow hose is the primary, long hose. The lp feed from the right post towards the left post is sitting a bit high and you can just see the hose to the backup reg below it next to the wing.

I thought we are talking 2 x DS4.
The one on the right post is definitely a DST.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 04:17 PM ----------

A DST on the right post would be a better option.
Just to prove my point.
Sorry!! Can't help it!

I thought we are talking 2 x DS4.
The one on the right post is definitely a DST.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 04:17 PM ----------

Just to prove my point.

Yup, Ken previously mentioned he was using a DST on the right post. I'm starting to see the advantage. Now, I have an FSR which is on my singles set up now. I suppose I could use that on the right, but it's just so big and bulky compared to the sleek DS4/DST. Plus, I'd have to completely disassemble my singles get up.

Yup, Ken previously mentioned he was using a DST on the right post. I'm starting to see the advantage. Now, I have an FSR which is on my singles set up now. I suppose I could use that on the right, but it's just so big and bulky compared to the sleek DS4/DST. Plus, I'd have to completely disassemble my singles get up.
He did indeed. But the first picture was about 2 x DS4.
There is not much differences size wise between DS4/DST/FSR. DST is longer though.
If you insist to use the HP port on both regs(left and right), check the routing first. The choice is very limited.

Yup, Ken Now, I have an FSR which is on my singles set up now. I suppose I could use that on the right, but it's just so big and bulky compared to the sleek DS4/DST. Plus, I'd have to completely disassemble my singles get up.

I'd suggest trying with your existing reg and a DS4 for the left post. You may decide you do not care about the wireless and then you can get another DS4, or that you do and get a DST. Of course you will eventually need stage regs, spares etc so you could just go for the DST/DS4 combination to begin with.

Another approach might be to get a day of training with an expert instructor who will generally bring a pile of kit if requested and have seen many more potential solutions.

Yet another approach would be two DSTs with the fifth LP port. That routes like the Scubapro Mk25 (I think) and Halcyon regs. However the DSTs end up rather more expensive than the DS4s which are excellent value.

With the DS4 and DST I find myself thinking that the angle between the two LP ports you actually use is a bit wider than ideal. I think the Tek3 fixes that. Of course, thousands of people use a pair or DS4s so they certainly do the job.

Ken

Unfortunately I am a bit limited here on availability of non-recreational instruction. I plan to start my technical diving instruction in 2015 when I return to the states. What I do have, is access to very affordable DS4's. I'm just trying to do the bulk of my learning prior to driving an hour to get them. I will most likely continue to dive singles for a while anyway. I plan to assemble my doubles this summer if I can find a good deal on tanks. Unfortunately, whatever tanks I get will have to be sold and replaced when I move home due to the inspection criteria differences between the US and Germany.

Eventually, I will probably ditch the AI and dive my SPG and Petrel like everyone else. For now it's just fun to have while I'm leaning about my consumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom