Apeks O/balanced with G250?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Realized I may have confused some of my terminology. As with everything the devil is in the details, I figured I may be better off to me move my post

Actually some of the things you said were true, it's just that many of the people on this thread have discussed this sort of thing many times before. And you did have a whopper or two.....

1. All regulators compensate for depth, as you pointed out. But some 'overcompensate' by using a larger external diaphragm and a mechanical transfer piston, such that IP increases over changes in ambient.

2. Some regulator manufacturers have labeled this effect "overbalanced." This is a deceptive term but it's what they use and its what buddhasummer was referring to. He's well aware of the difference between changes in IP over the supply range, and changes in IP with regards to depth. Surprisingly, some dive professionals on this forum do not seem to share that awareness.

3. There are some modern regulators for which IP goes up as supply pressure goes down. This is how the old unbalanced diaphragm regs worked and is caused by upstream bias in the main valve. There is at least one popular current 'balanced' diaphragm reg, the MK17, that still has an upstream bias; SP was not able or willing to fully balanced the poppet. So instead they label the effect as "overbalanced", another deceptive use of the term.

Thank you Halo for that accurate (and gentle) explanation.

According to SP, the MK 17 intermediate pressure rise with lower tank pressure = "normal IP inversion." The cover sale's pitch is something like, "at low tank pressure you want your regulator to breathe it's easiest."

Last edited:

According to SP, the MK 17 intermediate pressure rise with lower tank pressure = "normal IP inversion." The cover sale's pitch is something like, "at low tank pressure you want your regulator to breathe it's easiest."

I definately want my last few breathes just before I end my dive to be the easiest. Makes perfect sense.

There are a handful of super knowledgable folk on SB in regards to regulators, he is one, along with Couv, Halocline, Herman, DA Aquamaster, Axxel, there are others but these good folk sprang to mind first as all post regularly. I'll gladly take help from anyone who cares to offer. Cheers.

Oh and I forgot another guru, AWAP, now known as Redacted hopefully will be more than just a guest.

Oh and I forgot another guru, AWAP, now known as Redacted hopefully will be more than just a guest.

What happened to AWAP? He was very helpful.

Read from about page 20 onwards, I had to read it twice myself to catch, it all happened rather quickly sad to say.

I can't believe that I missed all of this much fun.

I have two, one swings around 5psi and the other over 10psi, seems pretty poor to me that the swing is so different between two of the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom