Apeks HP Seat failure: rumor or fact?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I am looking at buying an Apeks XTX50+DST reg set this weekend. How should I verify that this reg is not an older stock with the issues reported here? Or will the reg need to be disassembled by a technician to check for something specific before I purchase it?

So I am looking at buying an Apeks XTX50+DST reg set this weekend. How should I verify that this reg is not an older stock with the issues reported here? Or will the reg need to be disassembled by a technician to check for something specific before I do
Do you have an IP gauge? Check the pressure. If it locks up, you're good. If it creeps, factor the price of an overhaul into your purchase. If it creeps you might use a 6mm wrech to remove the top cap so you can inspect the crown with a loupe.

Do you have an IP gauge? Check the pressure. If it locks up, you're good. If it creeps, factor the price of an overhaul into your purchase. If it creeps you might use a 6mm wrech to remove the top cap so you can inspect the crown with a loupe.
Ok I am no technician. So I can ask for IP creep check in front of me and only buy if good. Else …? What to look for with a magnifying glass? And will fixing it require the white-card service kit?

An IP gauge is a good thing to have in your dive kit. You just plug it into an inflator hose and check that the needle locks up and doesn’t creep when the regulator is gassed up.

T
An IP gauge is a good thing to have in your dive kit. You just plug it into an inflator hose and check that the needle locks up and doesn’t creep when the regulator is gassed up.
True. But my intent is not to pay for the kit until this check is done and then negotiate the price to factor in the extra pre-purchase service requirement.

So I am looking at buying an Apeks XTX50+DST reg set this weekend. How should I verify that this reg is not an older stock with the issues reported here? Or will the reg need to be disassembled by a technician to check for something specific before I purchase it?
You can ask the shop to do it if they want your business.

T

True. But my intent is not to pay for the kit until this check is done and then negotiate the price to factor in the extra pre-purchase service requirement.

Makes sense. Is it a used reg? If so most would advocate those be serviced upon changing hands anyways. Some might argue that a bubble and IP check would mitigate any concerns about leaks or IP related issues, but it’s still prudent to rebuild as you don’t really know what kind of gas was pumped through the reg and whether it was cleaned/rinsed routinely enough.

A used and undocumented item with a potential issue should be checked.... pay for or negotiate to get a service done....

Of your buying used life support equipment. Apeks or any other brand you should service it be for use regardless if there is an HP seat issue of not.

Almost all my regs I have bought 2nd hand and the first thing I do is service them. Its cheep insurance.

To answer your question the way you verify you are not buying an older stock reg with this HP seat issue is you service it.

I just went through this with an XTX 200. I love the reg and I sent it to rsingler to replace the HP seat with a newer style one. My reg was new but no way of telling which HP seat it had. We do know the white backed Apeks service kits are the newest ones and that is what he used. My reg was purchased new in 2021 but I had no way of knowing if it was new old stock or not

Back
Top Bottom