Apeks guideline cave reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Kruse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does andbody have any info on this reel? I know it's not cheap, but it looks like it's made good and would be easy to handle with the rubber grip.
Jeff

I've handled one, never used it underwater. But I agree with @Ontwreckdiver it is a chunky fella. Probably works for cold caves with dry gloves. But for Florida with finger gloves it just swallowed by hand, physically the same size as my Divesoft in the 600ft configuration, might even be the same size as the 900ft config.

I have it and use it often. I like it a lot. It’s very well made, grip is excellent, it’s not very heavy. I used it both with short fingers gloves and dry gloves. Highly recommended.

The Manta is great
manta.jpg
If you are talking about this reel I refuse to let cave students use it.

View attachment 827493If you are talking about this reel I refuse to let cave students use it.
I have no idea what I'm talking about. I never handled one. I followed the link and was less than impressed by the website.

I have an Apeks Guideline Cave Reel, and I love it. I love that the grubscrew doesn't actually make direct contact with the spool, but presses a brake against the edge of the spool wall. This keeps the edge nice and smooth. There's also no way the line can get trapped between the handle and the spool.

I got a pretty decent deal on the Apeks reel: € 199, which makes it cheaper than most other manufacturers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom