Apeks Egress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so i just did 6 dives with my new reg, and i switched to the egress halfway through two of the dives, just to see how it was. relatively dry, no noticeably wet air to speak of. breathed fine, not quite the same as my xtx200, but thats to be expected in an octo. i liked the angle the second stage has, it makes it real easy to hand off to a buddy. no free flows and it breathed very smooth from 50ft and up (i didnt try it all the way at 118, slipped my mind). i'd get another one for another rig in a heartbeat. i really liked how small and flat it lays on your chest. no big, bulky primary-looking second stage, a nice sleek, streamlined octo. nice choice.

Personally i like my egress. Only had it freeflow a couple of times and have not had it detuned or anything. Works pretty good for an octo.
And yes it is very easy to hand off in an emergency and that is nice.

OK guys, so what are the alternatives to the Egress? The Poseidon Xstream octo does the same thing WITHOUT THE FREEFLOW, any other swivel, gyro octos or whatever you can recommend apart from the Egress? Somebody posted that the Egress wasn't much good for cold water. Seems to defeat the whole Apeks philosophy.

i just got back from a weekend of diving where i had to use it cause my buddy was low on air for a safety stop, and he said he had no issues, so to me, thats a big plus! no worries about up and down is the greatest!

Hi Guys/Gals,

So, I know I've gone ahead and dug up an ancient post, but... Apeks Egress Octo with XTX50/DS4 or DST (not too sure), YAY or NAY?

I'm being offered a set that hasn't touched the water yet so I'm not sure what to do. It seems like the Egress has it's followers and the LDS I frequent here seem to push it (though they might be doing so to clear stock...) but I could save some pennies! I already have a set of ATX40s with DS4 config, but I want to have an extra set for when my partner and I dive together and this seems like a good purchase. And the fact that I want to finish up my PADI AOW this weekend (got deep wreck and deep dives to do)... I'd like to use my new regs if possible hehe (which ever one I get my hands on first)

Things I know: All I read on those replies before me. The Apeks Egress is actually balanced so freeflow should be less frequent than the Aqualung Egress (according to my LDS here). Seems more trim-friendly (hehe)...

Thank you in advance for your valuable opinions!

C

p.s. If I do end up getting the setup I mentioned, it will be within the next 24hrs...

Last edited:
I sold off our 3 Egress Octos and replaced with xtx20's. The Egress Free flowed like mad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow Mikey... That bad?! Maybe I should reconsider... Did you try the retuning that others were discussing here?

No on the retuning. I was never hot on the design, they came as part of the XTX package. We were newbies when we bought all 3 sets of gear, looking back I should have asked for the XTX20 but live and learn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's the thing, the dude is selling it as a package also. Came that way. I might get it then add an xtx20/40 later on and keep the egress as a sub in case of need! Hehe thanks for you advice!

Anyone else got a couple of cents to chime in?

I've had an Egress octo on my back-up reg for at least 6 years and it has never free flowed or had any issues at all. It works great, breathes well and makes filling a SMB at depth much easier than a conventional octo, if I didn't have more expensive units on my primary I would be using it all the time!
Also very good for a pony set-up.

Back
Top Bottom