Apeks DS4/XTX or Scubapro Mk17/G250V ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peteco

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am reorganizing and want to switch out some of my gear, and I'd like to garner opinions on which way to go on regulators.

Here's what I have now:

(1) Scubapro Mk25 / S600 and R295
(1) Hollis DC3 / 221
(1) Scubapro Mk2 / R190
(1) Apeks DST / XTX40 and XTX20
(1) Aqualung Titan w/ Octo
(1) Hollis H-O2 / 210 (this is on a 30cf oxygen bottle)

I've currently set aside the Apeks DST, XTX40, and XTX 20 for my girlfriend to dive with recently, but I can give her something else as she's not really attached to any particular setup if I need to. I thought I might give her the Hollis set. She's a twice a year diver only in Mexico or FL Keys, usually less than 80 feet.

My usage will be probably 50% single tank rec dives and 50% doubles dives. My venues are quarries, Florida, Mexico, and will be moving into Great Lakes wrecks, the Florida wrecks, and hopefully (eventually) some NY/NJ wrecks. I would like a setup that works in cold water, which I know is not the strong point of my Mk25.

I want a set for doubles and a set for single dives.

I am thinking of buying a set of Scubapro Mk17/G250V's or a set of Apeks DS4/XTX50 regs.

Opinions or ideas? Also, suggestions on what would be the best candidates to sell off would be appreciates too.

Thanks!

Pete

Buy the MK17/G250V for you tech/doubles rig and use the DS4/XT50 for stages. Put the GF on MK25/S600 and dive with the Hollis.

Thanks.

And yes, I am looking more for opinions on how to play musical regulators than the Scubapro/Apeks purchase decision so I appreciate your input.

Did you mean dive single tank with the Hollis?

ajduplessis...PM me, I have a Q about the MK's....Thank you

Scubapro everytime for me. The GV250 is a great reg. The missus has a pair of Gv250's on two Mk25's. Fantastic.

Well, my problem solved itself this weekend. A friend is getting out of more demanding dives due to some medical issues and gave me an XTX50 and DST (and a bunch of other equipment), and I traded him my Mk2/R190 for it which he wanted for rec stuff.

I did tinker with a Mk17 and G250V and was kind of set to go that route, but alas fate intervened.

So I'll be using the Apeks for doubles, the S600 for the girlfriend and use the 2 Hollis regs for stages. I might also pick up a second Hollis 2nd stage for when I'm diving single tank and don't feel like tearing it all apart.

The Titan w/ Octo I'll either sell or get a SPG for it and keep it as a loaner for when family comes into town and wants to dive in 2ft vis reservoirs....

Would you guys trade the DST and XTX 50's for a set of Mk17/G250V's?

Another friend of mine just got a brand new set of Mk17/G250V's from his LDS, and he has decided he doesn't like them and he'll trade me for my Apeks regs if I want. The Apeks regs need servicing (they're 8 years old as well) and the Scubapros are literally brand new.

Should I make the trade?

Last edited:
Oceanic EOS DVT

Another friend of mine just got a brand new set of Mk17/G250V's from his LDS, and he has decided he doesn't like them and he'll trade me for my Apeks regs if I want. The Apeks regs need servicing (they're 8 years old as well) and the Scubapros are literally brand new.

Should I make the trade?

Trade now before he changes his mind. Sounds like great deal. New toys are great.

Mk17/g250v

Should I make the trade?

Peteco,

Don't think twice for the trade. Go for it! ScubaPro MK17/G250V. It's an opportunity or transaction you don't see often.

ScubaProMK17G250V-DIN.jpg

seal

Back
Top Bottom