Apeks DIN to Yoke, opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one apeks yoke assembly left if you still need one. They have been on backorder for about a year from apeks.

Adapters combine the worst of A clamp and DIN and are to be avoided except when no other recourse is available IMO.

It is often easier to purchase a A clamp regulator and then buy the DIN conversion kit, going the other ways sometimes there is not a specific kit and turned into be ing a nightmare for an AL Core but a scubaboard member supplied me the parts I could not obtain through an AL store to convert DIN to yoke.

Yesterday on the boat two folks could not remove the DIN insert in the valves and were left to use the Yoke converters. One leaked, the other boinked her noggin on the back roll. Oh well. I have seen some cylinders down here in Cozumel that appear to have been purposely peened to prevent insert removal because teye got tired of them being lost.

Adapters combine the worst of A clamp and DIN and are to be avoided except when no other recourse is available IMO.

It is often easier to purchase a A clamp regulator and then buy the DIN conversion kit, going the other ways sometimes there is not a specific kit and turned into be ing a nightmare for an AL Core but a scubaboard member supplied me the parts I could not obtain through an AL store to convert DIN to yoke.

Yesterday on the boat two folks could not remove the DIN insert in the valves and were left to use the Yoke converters. One leaked, the other boinked her noggin on the back roll. Oh well. I have seen some cylinders down here in Cozumel that appear to have been purposely peened to prevent insert removal because teye got tired of them being lost.
The yoke adopter I use is necessary since the boat I dive on has yoke only valves.

The yoke adopter I use is necessary since the boat I dive on has yoke only valves.
I appreciate that circumstance as I have seen and been there and therefore recommend a DIN or a Yoke, dependent upon the preponderance of the valves in use, but not an adapter as it combines the worst of both and none of the good of either and is always a last choice.

Colliam7 did a great job of laying out all of your options. +1 on all of his recommendations.

Using a DIN-to-yoke spin-on adapter, I have never felt like the first stage was hitting me in the back of the head. YMMV.

To expand a little on the conversion process from DIN to yoke reg configuration, you really should have the proper tools to do this simple repair. I highly recommend that you have a torque wrench on hand since you don't want to over- or under-tighten this union. Removal of the DIN connector bolt can be done with an allen wrench of the proper size. Installation of the yoke connector bolt should be done with a socket + socket extension that protrudes through the yoke clamp and tightened with the torque wrench to manufacturer specs. Sure, it's possible to do it without a torque wrench, but why not do the conversion correctly? This minimizes chances of a leak or over-tightening which could damage the parts involved.

If you plan on doing this conversion yourself, please download an Apeks technician repair manual first. The manual will give you step-by-step instructions on disassembly/re-assembly of the reg. It will also contain the torque specs for the DIN and yoke connector bolts.

Another alternative is to obtain the yoke configuration reg parts and provide them to the reg repair shop at the time of the first reg overhaul. They should be willing to install the parts at no additional cost since overhaul requires full disassembly anyway.

I just wanted to say thank you, you might not remember but you were very helpful when I first got into DIY🙏🏻

Back to scheduled programming.

I appreciate that circumstance as I have seen and been there and therefore recommend a DIN or a Yoke, dependent upon the preponderance of the valves in use, but not an adapter as it combines the worst of both and none of the good of either and is always a last choice.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom