Apeks DIN to Yoke, opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sapheona

New
Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought an Apeks regulator that comes with a DIN valve. The dive sites i usually go to use the Yoke valve type of tanks. I understand that i can get the DIN to Yoke converter but after reading the posts about people bumping their heads, I'm not sure i want to do that.

So i have a few questions, does Apeks sell the yoke valve separately, ie, i can just get the valve and change it as and when i want to? Tried looking it on the web but only found DIN valve that is sold separately.

If i do decide to get the converter, does anyone know if i can use other brands for Apeks? Been calling all the LDS but apeks is out of stock at the moment.

Thanks a lot for the help!

I understand that i can get the DIN to Yoke converter but after reading the posts about people bumping their heads, I'm not sure i want to do that.
It (head bumping) can be annoying, but not the end of the world. I still dive with an adaptor occasionally and, while I prefer not to, can manage well with one in place.
... does Apeks sell the yoke valve separately, ie, i can just get the valve and change it as and when i want to? Tried looking it on the web but only found DIN valve that is sold separately.
While you are using the word 'valve', I think you mean the inlet port on the regulator first stage. Most (not all) regs can be configured to be yoke or DIN. The conversion isn't rocket science, if you are mechanically inclined, and takes about 5 mintes if you have the parts and an Allen wrench, although many users prefer to have their shop do it. It is not all that common for somone to regularly switch their reg between yoke and DIN connections, but a few people do it. If your reg came as a DIN unit, there probably is not a 'kit' you can buy. In fact, however, it may have come from the manufacturer as a yoke unit, and the shop where you bought it used a DIN kit to do the conversion. I would ask the shop if they have the parts from the original yoke configuration (e.g. the 'A' clamp, etc.), or can they let you have (free would be my choice) parts from a conversion they did. If you want to get an idea of the parts involved in the conversion, use this link, and go to page 21: http://www.aqualung.com/militaryand...Manuals/Conshelf14_Repair_Manual_with_DIN.pdf
If i do decide to get the converter, does anyone know if i can use other brands for Apeks? Been calling all the LDS but apeks is out of stock at the moment.
Any DIN to yoke adaptor should work. I have a Dive Rite and a Zeagle, and they are interchangeable. I haven't run across a particularly 'low profile' adaptor unfortunately.

You have several options: 1) convert your DIN regulator back to yoke, and leave it that way, if you are diving yoke valve tanks exclusively; 2) buy a yoke to DIN adaptor, use it as needed, and put up with the head bumping (easiest solution); 3) buy one or more DIN valve tanks, so you don't have to rent (best long term solution); 4) buy a second, yoke reg.

Same here. I also dive an Apeks that comes with a DIN valve. Where I can't get a DIN valved tank, I use a yoke adaptor. As for the 1st stage sticking out, I haven't had my head banged yet.

Though I have been using the adaptor, my LDS suggests I should buy a yoke connector and some tools, get used to changing between DIN and yoke my self. I am not recommending this, but this may be another option.

Colliam7 did a great job of laying out all of your options. +1 on all of his recommendations.

Using a DIN-to-yoke spin-on adapter, I have never felt like the first stage was hitting me in the back of the head. YMMV.

To expand a little on the conversion process from DIN to yoke reg configuration, you really should have the proper tools to do this simple repair. I highly recommend that you have a torque wrench on hand since you don't want to over- or under-tighten this union. Removal of the DIN connector bolt can be done with an allen wrench of the proper size. Installation of the yoke connector bolt should be done with a socket + socket extension that protrudes through the yoke clamp and tightened with the torque wrench to manufacturer specs. Sure, it's possible to do it without a torque wrench, but why not do the conversion correctly? This minimizes chances of a leak or over-tightening which could damage the parts involved.

If you plan on doing this conversion yourself, please download an Apeks technician repair manual first. The manual will give you step-by-step instructions on disassembly/re-assembly of the reg. It will also contain the torque specs for the DIN and yoke connector bolts.

Another alternative is to obtain the yoke configuration reg parts and provide them to the reg repair shop at the time of the first reg overhaul. They should be willing to install the parts at no additional cost since overhaul requires full disassembly anyway.

Thanks for the input! I've decided to change my DIN to a Yoke and change it back when/if I'm doing technical diving.

Where did you find the parts to do the swap? I want to do the same thing.
+1. Any updates? Where I can find the Yoke screw / clamp / connector?

Glad you found the right option for you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom