Apeks can't be discounted > 10%??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally agree. Apeks and Scubapro, along with Atomic and Aqualung, seem to be the top favorites of this board. I haven't had very good luck with Scubapro, but my case seems to be the unusual one.

All four of these brands are well thought of, and the leaders in the industry as far as reliability seems to go.

waterwraith once bubbled...
SeaJay
Anyway I am technically inclined so I feel that I could do the work but getting the service kits from Apeks may be a hard thing to do as I have almost never seen them for sale online.

Yeah, that's been cited as "the big problem" with doing your own work.

In the same place that you find the literature I'm talking about - on my site - you'll find parts suppliers that are willing to sell what you need. Let me know if you end up finding others, so I can add them to the list.

I dont think that most people are worried about the warranty because they believe the products could fail. I think that in most cases, especially with regs, people want the free service kits. In a shop that shall not be named:) they "say" that the Apeks kits cost around 50-60 dollars each and on top of that you pay a 15-20 dollar service charge. That extra 50-60 adds up after awhile.

Of course that is if you service your reg every year. I once dove with a guy who went three years without having his reg serviced. It was not a pretty sight, but thats another story.

Seajay

I checked those sites and the prices they were quoting were way less than I had been lead to believe by the dive shop. To bad most of the sites you have are in german.

Just one. There's only one in German. There's four in English, and one that's both German and English.

People seem to have had good luck with SimplyScuba, which is based in the UK (and only in English).

Yeah, and the prices are much more "normal." $20 or so generally seems to cover it... Not $60 as your LDS said. Maybe that's what THEY charge for the kits...

... and the LDS that quoted you that price appears to be good at expecting you to bend over.

Since they have announced their intentions, I hope you repay their courtesy with appropriate purchasing decisions :)

Genesis

It would only be rape if someone was stupid enough to pay that price, but your point is well made. Fortunately Alabama is a state full of dive shops you can pretty much pick and choose as you please

I know this is an Apeks thread, but does anyone have the sort of step by step instructions for Scubapro that SeaJay has for Apeks on his site? PM me if you do.

jonnythan once bubbled...

DiveInn is based in Spain, which, AFAIK, still isn't part of the UK :wink:

I sincerely doubt he mentioned anything about DiveInn is in UK. What he said was, you could purchase the Regulator off the net from DiveInn and get serviced by Apeks in UK.=-)

orlock once bubbled...
Hey Bloop!
Where in Singapore can you buy Apeks regs?? I thought the closest place was in Malaysia?
If you do know, please tell me which LDS carries the Apeks line.

Mel

I am a Singaporean, why not I tell you :wink: .... hehehehe ......

The Local Distributor is Divemaster Pratama situated at Outram Road :).

Check out their website.....

http://www.divemastersonline.com/1.htm

reubencahn once bubbled...
I know this is an Apeks thread, but does anyone have the sort of step by step instructions for Scubapro that SeaJay has for Apeks on his site? PM me if you do.

Hey, let me know if you find something like that. I've been looking for a while.

I do have a fairly descent Scubapro "exploded view" of some of their more popular regs... That can help during assembly/disassembly. But I haven't seen anything more from da 'Pro on reg maintenance.

In all fairness, the Apeks regs and the Scubapro regs, at least as far as their second stages go, aren't so different that you wouldn't benefit from watching the Apeks presentation. Might even help with the firsts...

at least the PISTON firsts, are so simple that I can't imagine a "step by step" would be worth much :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom