Apeks BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
Why not? - It would appear to be about the same as the Halcyon Explorer 55 (with 5 lbs more lift)

I was really talking about the soft-pack WTX Harness when I said the technical divers wouldn't approve. The WTX Harness with the 30 pound wing is going to meet the need of many difficult-to-fit recreational divers, or those that prefer a tight-fitting harness style BC. The 60 and 80 pound wings look really nice and I think many people will find them perfect for twin diving. In addition, the backplate and the one-piece harness are very nice. While many people consider the involvement of Aqua Lung to be a negative, you really have to see the quality of these components to appreciate them. These things are going to be a hit.

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

ahh - I didn't realize you were refering to the soft pack - I think it's a great thing that Aqua-Lung has gotten involved - I think this will make the gear more widely available if there is a recognizable name involved (as in a name most new divers are exposed to)

Aloha, Tim

I agree its nice to see one of the mainstream companies go back to the BP/W's since Scubapro apparently isn't in that market anymore.

I only meant that AL would be a negative from a buyer's price and availability perpective. My LDS is an AL shop, and I have plenty invested in Apeks/Suunto/etc. stuff. Knowing what the SeqQuest BCs retail for, I can't imagine what the MSRP will be for the new Apeks rigs.

Most interesting will be to see if my LDS will stock one or two, given the lecture I got about my BP/W the first time I showed up a the local diving hole with it. :wink:

Not too shabby.

Looks like a few mods might be in order, though.

Stephen Ash:
Not too shabby.

Looks like a few mods might be in order, though.
Yeah... nothing too serious.

These aren't about to become the DIR wings to get, for a variety of reasons. First, the steel cord inside the pull dump isn't necessary so there's no need to have that complication. Second, the right-side OPV/dump valve/hole on the doubles wing is not necessary so there's no need to have that there either. Plus the inflator looks pretty long. And of course the lower D-ring on the singles wing would have to go.

That being said, they look like fine wings for anyone going to a bp/w. I'd love to see one in person... my local shop is an Aqualung dealer so hopefully they will get a few in for me to check out.

jonnythan:
Yeah... nothing too serious.

These aren't about to become the DIR wings to get, for a variety of reasons. First, the steel cord inside the pull dump isn't necessary so there's no need to have that complication. Second, the right-side OPV/dump valve/hole on the doubles wing is not necessary so there's no need to have that there either. Plus the inflator looks pretty long. And of course the lower D-ring on the singles wing would have to go.

That being said, they look like fine wings for anyone going to a bp/w. I'd love to see one in person... my local shop is an Aqualung dealer so hopefully they will get a few in for me to check out.

Yah...those were the kind of things I had in mind. I suspect that the single wing has a pull dump that would have to go and the rear dump would need a little work. I'm wondering how one would get rid of that D-ring that you mentioned...cut it with bolt cutters, I guess. And, yah, the corrugated hose is probably long.

I would have to put my hands on one but the material of the single wing looks pretty thin...makes a great wing to pack, though.

I'm pretty sure none of these wings have pull dumps on the inflators.. they just have "safety cables" it would seem. The D-ring would cut off just by cutting the webbing it's sewn into.

Still I will hold off any judgement til I see one :wink:

I saw the doubles wing in action today. Look very durable -comparable to the Explorer I was using. I was a bit curious about the having dump options on the left and right side. I was told that the MSRP was/would be less than that of the Halcyon, so that should ease some of the concerns regarding the 10% max discount.

Also, the subdued logo was a nice touch. Beats the hell out of the big Halcyon/DIR patches that I end up tearing off :D .

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom