Apeks AT20?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The AT20 second stage will most likely come with a US4 or a DS4 first stage. The US4 is identical to the DS4 except that the DS4 is environmentally sealed and rated fro cold water < 10 degrees Celsius.

Both US4 and DS4 first stages has 4 LP ports and 1 HP port. These first stages have a good reputation amongst Tec divers. They're easy to service. They're lighter than most first stage variants and are great for doubles. You can also use them for deco bottles (lots of divers do so) but note that they're non swivel. This means that your 40' deco bottle hose will a bit tight when you use them over your neck during a gas switch. A 42' hose will do a nicer job.

The second stage AT20 has a venturi adjustment lever. They're easy to service and unlike higher end Apeks second stages, you can easily open the front plate with your hands to dislodge obstructions in the diaphragm.

I got the entry level from a review on some scuba review site.
If this would be a serious upgrade from my Oceanic PX2 and Delta 2 I will get it.

Ive never had any real trouble removing face plate on any Apeks I've owned, AT, ATX or either version of the XTX. I have however on one occasion needed to use a piece of silicone for additional grip on one that was kinda "stuck".

I have an Oceanic PX2 first stage and a Delta2 second stage.
I have been wanting to upgrade them, but, I want an upgrade- not something that is simply a little better.
I have been thinking of looking for a Scubapro Mk25 S600.
I don't need top of the line, but I do want the best I can reasonably afford. I also don't want to spend money on a giant step sideways.

I have an Oceanic PX2 first stage and a Delta2 second stage.
I have been wanting to upgrade them, but, I want an upgrade- not something that is simply a little better.
I have been thinking of looking for a Scubapro Mk25 S600.
I don't need top of the line, but I do want the best I can reasonably afford. I also don't want to spend money on a giant step sideways.

If you can somehow get in a pool with me, I have about five different regs you can try. Hog, SP, Atomic, Oceanic, etc.

Then you can finally see for yourself and find peace here on Scubaboard.

From doing a lot more reading, here and other websites, it seems the smart thing is to just stay with what I have. It isn't bad.
Sometimes I get bit by the bug to get something different. I really hate missing a great deal, but this Apeks does look like it would be a step sideways instead of an improvement.
I think if I do buy another reg set it will probably be some flavor of Scubapro.
How much stuff can I get before they make me stop?

I currently have at least a dozen fully functioning regulator sets, all of which get used.... Thankfully I am set for the foreseeable future, but that's only because of CCR...

The "entry level" from Apeks is because this is the "basic" model of what they make. Similar to the Atomic Z2. Just because it is their entry level, doesn't mean it is an entry level regulator, hence why you don't see them in rental fleets. The Apeks will breathe better than the Delta II you have, it's just a better second stage, and it truly is on par with anything on the market right now. No it doesn't have the user adjustment knob *not really necessary*, no it doesn't have a metal heat exchanger at the hose *are you diving in sub 50F water regularly?*, no it isn't reversible *not needed in normal scuba diving*, but it is still a balanced second stage that is likely going to breathe better than the reg you have and basically as well as anything on the market.

Why do you think Scubapro is able to make something better than what you have and what are you looking to get from them that you don't have now?

I was thinking about Scubapro because their regs are good, and my LDS is a Scubapro dealer so he can service them for me. I know that isn't necessary, but I have come to know the owner well and I trust him completely, and I would like him to work on my regs. If I have to use someone else there are good shops nearby, so that isn't a deal killer.

Just to add... I bought this Oceanic reg set used from another LDS. It was sold with a fresh service. The first time I used it the hp hose was leaking a lot of small bubbles- the hose itself, not a fitting. I guess he didn't check it or didn't notice since it. I had to pay for another hose. When I picked up the regulator with the new hose I put it in my bag and didn't look at it until a week or 2 later. He had installed the hoses on the wrong side. Those are not a huge problem, but it does indicate a lack of attention to detail. That shop owner runs his shop as a side business- not full time, and he was in a rush to get my reg set and others out that had been waiting. It took a month for me to get mine when I bought it due to him not having time to service it.
All of that made me look for another LDS, and I found a good one. However, my current LDS doesn't service Oceanic, and I am low on confidence in my current regulator. I haven't had any problems since I moved the hose, but the lack of attention to detail has got into my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom