Apeks and BC choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was planning on getting the Mares Abyss Reg, but after reading though some older threads on the boards I think the Apeks sounds like a better reg.
I was in a shop yesterday and I asked for a price on an Apeks. I was told " We are a Seaquest Dealer so we could get you an Apeks, but here we push Scuba-Pro" They wouldn't even give me a price!
I have one more Shop to check with, probably tommoro.
We are leaving in 34 days for Grand Bahama and I'd really like to have my own gear.
Still not sure on the BC. I'm going to try the Zeagle again in the pool. I've read that it takes some getting used to. I'ts either gonna be the Zeagle Ranger, Seaquest Pro QD, or the Mares Dragonfly Airtrim.
From reading the boards I keep re-thinking my choices. This is a good thing.
BTW I've found three other boards on the web and none of them even come close. You people are great.
Thanks, Tavi

I wonder if the Seaquest people would like to know about how this shop treats potential Seaquest customers? (yes I have an attitude about this place.)I'll be spending my money elsewhere!
Tavi

Tavi,

Don't know if you're planning on purchasing from your local shop, but if not, there was a post from large_diver the other day that pointed me to http://www.diveinn.com. The price on the Apex T-50 w/ T40 octo was about $250.00 or so! I just paid around $500.00 and thought I got a good deal!! If you go that way, I would make sure that it is shipped via FEDEX or similar since you are leaving in 3 weeks.

As for the BC, I use a backplate/wings so I can help you there.

Detroit Diver,
I got a price today for Tx-50,Tx-40 octo, and Din-yoke adapter about $500. I prefer to buy from the shop that will be servicing them. And know for sure I have a good warranty.It's less $ than the Mares Regs I was looking at and from what I've read they sound better.

Today I tried a Mares Dragonfly in the Pool, I love the Airtrim, Nice not having to hold up the inflator hose, and being able to dump air in any position.
I also tried a Trans-pac II with rec-wings I like the Freedom I have with it on. Also the fact that I can change the system later if as my style of diving may change.
Tuesday I will try the Ranger again and compare it to the Trans-pac. If I make a decision Tuesday I can get my gear before we leave.

So many choices, so little time.

Anybody who can give pro's and con's to these BC's I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Tavi

Jeeezzzzz,

This is crazy, the warranty from Dive Inn is good as the warranty from any shop. Even if it wasn't and you had to pay for the serivcing you would be way ahead just from the price difference. One of the nice things about the apeks is that they will go a long time between NEEDED overhauls. I would buy the regs at Dive Inn and buy the regulator repair and service book from Airspeed press and be set to go. (you can also buy the overhaul kits from Dive Inn).

Brad

Hi Tavi,

Looks like al the choices you have are good ones. Here is my $0.02.

Regarding the regulators -- both the Mares Abyss and the Apeks are excellent products. I don't have any direct experience with the Abyss, but have heard positive comments. I am in the market for a regulator right now myself, and I will likely be buying an Apeks TX-100. I like the "sealed" nature of the first stage -- the quotes I've heard from users have include comments like "bulletproof" and "can take a ton of abuse". Granted, I plan to take good care of my gear, but hearing comments like these makes me feel more comfortable. The Apeks regs are also highly regarded by the WKPP/DIR crowd --won't bore you with details, but suffice it to say these are people who subject their equipment to extreme conditions. If Apeks regs are good enough for them....they should be good enough for any conditions. Also -- see the April 2001 print edition of Rodale's ScubaDiving -- there is an article rating regs that are in the >$400 price range (they only rated new regs and others that have recently been upgraded). While this article does not include ALL >$400 regs, the Apeks TX-100 received the highest rating of those they looked at (including the Scubapro S600 and the new models from Zeagle). About the only negative I've heard about them is that the second stages tend to be somewhat on the large size. Note, jsut to confuse you further.....I have seen some recent comments that Apeks is about to launch a new line of regs with the "CTX" designation (CTX-100, CTX-50, etc.). I have an e-mail into Apeks asking about release date and features of thee models vs. the current TX line -- I am still waiting to hear back from them. They list these new models on their web site -- no description..only "details coming soon." The only comments I've heard on these new models so far is that the second stages will be more compact and they will be moving from a 1 year service interval to a 2 year service interval. Regarding using diveinn -- I know one person who has used them -- they are an authorized Apeks dealer and your warranty is 100% legit -- no gray market shenanigans here. For more data, I have included a recent thread on Apeks regs from scubadiving.com:

http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=242346&t=242346

On to the BCs -- again, they all look like good choices, although I am unfamiliar with that particular Mares model. I am the proud owner of a Seaquest ProQD (about 20 dives on it). I find it comfortable and easy to use -- both in terms of the adjustability and the inflator/dumps. This BC has dumps on the lower back right, the upper back right and the dump at the base of the power inflator at the upper back left -- making it easy to vent air regardless of postition. I also like the weight integration, since I use about 40lbs of weight. I've heard many good things about the Ranger -- that being said, I am not very familar with its specific features. I would take a look at the venting controls on each, the ease of operation/safety of the weight integration and how the thing fits you -- that should help narrow it down. Also try to think about how you dive and what you bring with you -- are O/D rings and pockets important and are the ones on the models you are considering positioned where you like them?

Finally -- some comments on what equipment a dive shop "pushes". I haven't seen a ton written on dive shop profitability, but based on the behavior I've seen, I have to believe that it is somewhat like a new car dealer -- different manufacturers offer different incentives to the shops at different times, leading them to sometimes push one model over the other. If a shop owner has 20 regs in his stockroom (the ones he may have bought from the mfr. on special), he is certainly more motivated to sell you these than to special order something he doesn't have.

Hope this is helpful -- good luck with your decisions.

Large-diver....If you hear back from Apeks regarding the CTX line, please enlighten us. But I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you. From what I hear, that's top secret 007 material. :) But I've been lead to believe that Aqualung has already released something very similiar in their new Titan LX. Course Aqualung denies this and says the LX is their baby not Apeks's. But open one up and make your own determination.

The price for the Tx-50 w/Tx40 Octo is $305. The DIN Yoke adapter is $25 add Import Duty Tax , possible sales tax on arrival, and shipping and handling. They ship UPS.Someone needs to be there to recieve the package! As my wife and I both work. The loss of income from one of us taking off from work to recieve it would probably end up costing us more than the cost of buying from my local shop.
If one of us was at home I could see going this route, but with both of us working no.

Doesn't sound so crazy anymore does it?

Thanks for all the Input Everyone, Tavi

For those interested -- I just returned home from a business trip to find a reply from Apeks regarding the launch of their CTX regulator series. As Warhammer predicted -- not very enlightening.

----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interest in Apeks regulators. Unfortunately we have delayed the introduction of the CTX range due to our Military commitments. All I can say at this stage is that we will complete the CTX range ASAP and please keep your eye on the press for details. If I could give you a definite date at this stage I would. I am sorry I cannot be more specific at this stage.

Best Regards
Tony

Heh Apeks or any manufacturer for that matter, wont tell you when they will be releasing new products , for obvious reasons. I can tell you though that the CTX range will most likely be launched early summer 2001. but nothing is gauranteed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom