Apeks 1st stage HP Seats - Overblown (Pun intended)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

98TJ10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Recently I've been reading about what seems to be a couple years of a bad batch of HP seats coming from Apeks rebuild kits. Is this issue strictly related to parts kits or were new regulators impacted as well? I have a set of ~2018-2019 DS4's that haven't been dove yet...not sure if they could have the bad seats or if I am safe..was planning on just doing an IP check. Is this problem overhyped?

I'm going with over hyped. Yes, I have read reports but I have no first hand experience or has anyone in my near circle had any issues. I've also sold a ton of kits and no one has reported any issues. If it was a bad batch perhaps it was geographically based?

I'm going with over hyped. Yes, I have read reports but I have no first hand experience or has anyone in my near circle had any issues. I've also sold a ton of kits and no one has reported any issues. If it was a bad batch perhaps it was geographically based?

I have had the exact same experience. Read some reports on here about it happening but no detailed description or pictures ever posted about what exactly happened.

I have over a dozen Apeks first stages all different years as do most of my friends and some dive center owners that I am close friends with and none of us have experienced this problem. Quite a few major main stream rebreather companies come standard with Apeks regs on them too and I have never heard of them reporting any issues with there first stages.

I've had a dst seat failure twyce, the later was my diluent reg on an inspiration, but i don't have fingers to point at. it was an old regulator, but serviced around 2017, and the second failure after was serviced in 2021

I never heard of this being an issue before. But I had one that got new in early 2018 and failed a year later in early 2019. Didn't have a kit with me and took it by a local shop that was well respected for a rush repair. Confirmed the issue, rebuilt it and said it was super clean inside and nothing looked wrong. Works fine now. Never thought of anything except a fluke failure. It was a diluent regulator on a rEvo. Worked fine on the build up, failed on the pre-dive. It was just IP creep, not catastrophic failure.

None. I own 8 Apeks 1st stages in total in various flavors. I service them myself and no blown seats so far. But I have encountered 2nd stage soft seats being chewed up prematurely.

I had one last week. DST from 2020, only 4 dives, worked fine three days before, failed when hooked up to the tank. Second stage free flow, IP pegged my gauge. Taking it out tomorrow to test.

I had a brandnew DS4 with IP creep about three years ago. Put in a new seat and noticed a scratch on the old one. I let the german retailer know and never got a reply...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom