Apeks HP Seat failure: rumor or fact?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg can't lock pressure anymore, so your second stage/s will start to freeflow. A lot.
There is not much to see. Regulator body itself is intact, plastic poppet that closes the flow tears apart, not sealing anymore
OK, that might be too strong of a word. While I haven't seen it so far, if I have to guess, there is some abrasion from high pressure flow preventing the seal.
At least the failure is not dramatic underwater, just a free flow

As you mentioned in the other thread, my reg was probably built in June 2021, which is right around the time when apeks appears to have fixed the seats. Lets see what happens over the next couple of years..

At least the failure is not dramatic underwater, just a free flow
I'd say that it was pretty memorable of not "dramatic," when I experienced my only seat failure in the mid-1980s; though it was really more of a hassle than anything else -- a flurry of bubbles from OP valves on hoses; an inflator hose that had to be detached; some harsher but still consistent breathing; that, and a controlled ascent from about 20 meters.

The HP seat was actually cracked . . .

Mine has been fine so far that Rsingler worked on

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to have a definitive answer on this, but I don't. The issue is/was real, and among the bad poppets that @Tracy kindly sent, there appears to be some distortion in some poppets, and the plastic hardness may have been slightly softer durometer than later versions.
But there's no one defect I could identify in the failures.
What I'd REALLY like to know is if any of you have had a failure with a recent (white) kit.
I have not had a failure yet with a white kit. I saw approximately 20 in a two year span with the blue kits.
I can't say they have fixed it 100%, but I can say they dramatically improved it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom