aow lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticat99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
going to do my aow this spring and of course you need a primary and secondary lights.other than the course i really dont know how much use i will get and i dont want to brake the bank,my local dive shop has secondaries for about 150 avg and primary's starting at 250 .i looked online and for the quality his prices are right inline but i see other lights on amazon for like 40-50 dollars with same or higher lumens any suggestions would be appreciated

I wouldn't spend too much on a light for open water diving. I bought a Princeton Tec League for around $30 that does the job, takes 4 AA's. I put new batteries in it prior to my last night dive on 3/19, it was an 89 minute dive. Just checked it and it is still good to go. Buy 2 if you need a backup. I don't have a ton of experience, around 5 night dives over the last 18 months. I have found that less lumens is better, you attract less blood worms with a lower powered light.

Shouldn't have to spend more than $100 max for an OW light for an AOW course.

Why would you be required to buy primary and secondary lights for AOW?
If you choose to do a night dive as part of your AOW (it's not mandatory...) most instructors provide lights. If you do have to buy some, don't spend much. Get something like THIS for $15 each. You do NOT want a bright light for night diving. Bright lights make nocturnal critters think it's day time. And they go away.
Inexpensive low power lights like this are ideal for night dives or peeking into holes.

I bought a couple of $5 led lights from eBay. Working great! http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-Waterp...t-/291856461128?nav=SEARCH&varId=590859925277

I tested then in the bottom of my pool and they leaked a little after an hour. Took them out and regreased the o-rings. Put then back in and the were dry after 8hrs at 2metres.

Taken them diving 5 times since and no problems.

Leaking o-rings can happen on any dive device, keep them clean and lightly greased and they will seal well.

Why would you be required to buy primary and secondary lights for AOW?
I require them for my students and ask that they carry them on all dives. Some fish like to live under ledges and you can't see them well without a light. And yes, I carry one or two lights on each and every dive. Why not?

All divers should carry:
  • Cutting device or two
    • Eezy cut
    • small SS knife
  • Surface Marker Buoy (Sausage)
    • OPV/Dump valve
    • Oral & BC hose inflator
    • At least 4 ft long
  • 100 ft spool (NOT a reel)
  • Light or two
    • 2+hour burn time
    • Completely stowed (no danglies)
  • Whistle

thanks for replies i should of mentioned i will be doing a lot of diving up in freshwater lakes in Canada no where the visibility of the Caribbean and obviously no reefs to scare the fish at nights.when i was in grand caymen back January i did wish i had a light for one dive to see inside a port hole of a wreck

thanks for replies i should of mentioned i will be doing a lot of diving up in freshwater lakes in Canada no where the visibility of the Caribbean and obviously no reefs to scare the fish at nights.when i was in grand caymen back January i did wish i had a light for one dive to see inside a port hole of a wreck

the backup lights we use in cave diving are more than adequate. I use ANO R105T's right now, but also have Securitying, and Cave Adventurers Explorer *all but identical to HOG Morph 1000's*. Couldn't be happier with them, but I recommend getting high end batteries and chargers for them. Bunch of posts fairly recent about lights that have links to everything

Back
Top Bottom