AOW light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oafis

Registered
Reaction score
my advanced open water class that i will be starting says i need to have a light. I dont really think i want to fork out the money for a great set, as i dont even have my gear yet. Any suggestions on the best course of action???

oaf

rent a light from the dive shop for the course. If you think you will need one for after the course, a princeton tec light runs about $55 here in the US. You could probably find a decent light cheaper.

Why don't you see if you can rent one from your LDS?
Rob

My LDS didn't rent lights for the class. I went to Scubatoys.com and ordered a UK C8 and an SL4 backup for about $75. Having your own lights is nice, I use them even in the daytime now.

You can get decent low priced light that will work with no problems for ages. Looking after it is simple.

At first you may only need a light for your night dives , but as I found out it can be helpful and fun to have one on day dives.

At wrecks it's great to have a little extra light to see into the ship/boat... or when you are looking at a wall face the extra light can really bring out the details.

I carry a smaller one during the day as most of the time it's snaped to my harness.

=-)

Go to Mountain Equipment Co-op and get one of the little Princeton Tec lights good for diving...really cheap and should do the trick for your class.

One word...Ebay.

Scott

A light was one of the first things I bought. They are pretty hard to rent (compared to the usual gear). Whenever I go holiday or on a trip I take one anyway so it might as well be usable for scuba.

The SL4 is a good choice. It is bright enough for clearwater night dives and small enough to be a back-up if you get a bigger one later.

The Pelican Super Sabre Light

can be had for around 25 bucks if you shop around. It used three C cells. This is what I use for occassional night and dark dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom