AOW Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J.R.:
All certs are nothing more than "learner's permits"... the real education comes when you take the training wheels off... and, if you're lucky... keeps coming long after.
Better not be.

Once you get your cert card, you can go out on your own and dive. Thats no learner's permit. And thats not what I paid for when I got certified.

J.R.:
Ya' left out "Chief", "Senior Chief" and "Master Chief" divers! :11doh:
Uh, those are clearly Technical diver ratings and way beyond the scope of the discussion :)
Rick

mjatkins:
out of curiosity Jeff, which store did you train through? Was it in Edmonton?
Ocean Sports in Edmoton.

JeffG:
Better not be.

Once you get your cert card, you can go out on your own and dive. Thats no learner's permit. And thats not what I paid for when I got certified.

:11doh: Ah Grasshopper... you think your education complete do you?

[Edit] - Basically yea... an OW Cert *IS* a "learner's permit" ... you can go dive. But the education you get from books and handhold dives is like taking 'drivers ed'... ya'... you can learn how to start a car... point it down the road... and probably get it back in one piece... but it doesn't mean you know ANYTHING about driving or about cars... The *real* education begins once you get your dive card or driver's license... and continues indefinately. In other words... once you have your "C Card" the training wheels are off... but it doesn't mean you really know how to ride the bike... just that your balance is good enough that you hopefully won't be crashing too often... you've been given the basic tools...

There are divers... and folks with "C-cards"... knowing the difference is the first step...

J.R.:
:11doh: Ah Grasshopper... you think your education complete do you?
No...but an OW student should be capable of executing a dive by himself.

If you want to pal around with DM's and instructors, thats your call.

But if I get certified to dive, when I finish the training I should be left with the ability to do so.

JeffG:
If you want to pal around with DM's and instructors, thats your call.

But if I get certified to dive, when I finish the training I should be left with the ability to do so.

First... appologies for not having completed my post before hitting the send key the first time... it was an incomplete thought...

I think you're still missing my meaning though... I'm a "C-Card" guy... I don't consider myself a 'diver' yet... still too much to learn... but when you say "I got certified to dive... I should be left with the ability to do so." ... I'd have to ask, "OK... so what dive have you got planned that you think you can't do?"

Then the next question would be, "WHY don't you think you can do it?"

J.R.:
I think you're still missing my meaning though... I'm a "C-Card" guy... I don't consider myself a 'diver' yet... still too much to learn... but when you say "I got certified to dive... I should be left with the ability to do so." ... I'd have to ask, "OK... so what dive have you got planned that you think you can't do?"

Then the next question would be, "WHY don't you think you can do it?"

To be fair to Jeff, I don't think he is saying this. I don't mean to speak on his behalf, but it looks as if he is fairly comfortable with his training, and you are not comfortable with yours. That's unfortunate, and I applaude you forrecognizing the shortcommings in your training and doing something about it. Out of curiosoty, what is it that you feel you didn't learn in your course? Or put another way, what needs to happen in order for you to consider yourself a diver?

Thanks

Steve R:
And further to your excellent post Walter, you more than likely would have to explain to our current Padi Instructor that his quote above in some cases would put the instructor doing as he suggests, outside of Padi standards, and is most certainly NOT in line with Padi Training philosophy.

I'm beginning to wonder if this boy even is a Padi instructor, as it seems every time he opens his yap he's stating something he thinks is inline with Padi's ideas, but seems to be continually incorrect in his assumptions.
Id be happy to PM you my instructor number, if you want. Personally, Im tired of these pointless arguments. Its like democrats vs republicans. You either hate PADI or like it, and who cares why. Ill reiterate. Shut up and go teach. Stop talking about it. Im going to take my own advice now.

jviehe:
Id be happy to PM you my instructor number, if you want. Personally, Im tired of these pointless arguments. Its like democrats vs republicans. You either hate PADI or like it, and who cares why. Ill reiterate. Shut up and go teach. Stop talking about it. Im going to take my own advice now.

You should be tired, you haven't scored an intelligent point yet.

What do I care what your instructor number is?

Padi doesn't care what you do, so why would I?

I've seen it first hand with all documentation in print. I'm not lacking any material or personal experience with this.

Dude, you're the perfect Padi instructor, and are exactly how they want you.

The issue here isn't hate or not, it's that you have no clue what Padi is doing, and evidently have no clue what it is that is entirely wrong with them.

But hey, go forth and multiply your c-card count, your Course Director seat awaits you.....lol. You'll fit right in, I guarantee it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom