AOW Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I know SSI issues a certification, but it's not the result of a single course. It's similar in design to PADI's master diver certification.

plot:
It's a joke becuase it's not really "advanced", it's added basic OW material, so why not just include it in basic OW? Or why not add to it and make it a truely advanced course?

I f I understand correctly, you don't have an issue with the material that is presented durring the AOW training (I assume the Deep and Nav, since they are the only constants), and in fact believe it important enough that you would wish to see it included in the OW course. The thing you take issue with is the name of the program. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Matthew

mjatkins:
I f I understand correctly, you don't have an issue with the material that is presented durring the AOW training (I assume the Deep and Nav, since they are the only constants), and in fact believe it important enough that you would wish to see it included in the OW course. The thing you take issue with is the name of the program. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Matthew

I would like to see it either included in the OW course, or I would like to see additional material added to it. I don't training as a whole as very "Advanced".

plot:
I would like to see it either included in the OW course, or I would like to see additional material added to it. I don't training as a whole as very "Advanced".
The cert isnt designed towards YOU, its designed towards the average diver, while keeping in mind the least capable diver. Compared to most divers, someone who has done a deep, navigation, and 3 other special dives is advanced. Geez, its just a word, get over it.

Caver95:
This kind of crap would not fly in FUCEM. if a FUCEM mentor did this kind of sheet, He or she would be keel hualed, its in the standards.

lol, dude you are the best.

Those of us currently applying for the FUCEM-Canada IDC completely agree :wink:

Walter:
I don't trust PADI to decide anything. There was a time I thought they were merely misguided, but then they subpoenaed me. I showed up with the required documents at the appointed time and place. PADI did not show up. They then tried to have me held in contempt of court. Don't turn your back on them. They aren't misguided, they know exactly what they are doing.

I think this is an important point, and one I personally hope never gets lost in the shuffle.

Misguided is relatively easy to sort out, but these crooks know the score completely.

plot:
It's a joke because it's not really "advanced", it's added basic OW material, so why not just include it in basic OW? Or why not add to it and make it a truly advanced course?

Maybe you only see the people who didn't like their AOW course comment about it on these boards, and we're truly in the minority... maybe others simply haven't looked into it enough to know any better. Just like most people think their first instructor is awesome because they have nothing to compare it too... it's later on that they realize how terrible/great that first instructor really was.
So, your whine isn't that the material is a "joke" but that it isn't "advanced" enough to be called "advanced." Here we agree. I would love to see a Scuba Diving course that included all the things my 1971 YMCA course included (well, maybe we could leave out the push-ups and the running with a 72 on your back). But it would be a financial flop, because students could still "get their PADI" around the corner in an afternoon without breaking a sweat, all for $99.
So... bearing that in mind, what will we call our "AOW equivalent" in our new agency, remembering that to be competitive we have to offer something that has a fancy C-Card attached very early in the game, and it has to sound, look and feel as good as "PADI Advanced Open Water" to the student.
IOW we need a whole new competitive attractive lexicon that can produce quality divers at PADI prices and still leave a few shekels for the instructional staff and the dive shop.
Sounds like a great entrepreneurial opportunity to me!
Let's get started... :)
Rick

Rick Murchison:
So, your whine isn't that the material is a "joke" but that it isn't "advanced" enough to be called "advanced." Here we agree. I would love to see a Scuba Diving course that included all the things my 1971 YMCA course included (well, maybe we could leave out the push-ups and the running with a 72 on your back). But it would be a financial flop, because students could still "get their PADI" around the corner in an afternoon without breaking a sweat, all for $99.
So... bearing that in mind, what will we call our "AOW equivalent" in our new agency, remembering that to be competitive we have to offer something that has a fancy C-Card attached very early in the game, and it has to sound, look and feel as good as "PADI Advanced Open Water" to the student.
IOW we need a whole new competitive attractive lexicon that can produce quality divers at PADI prices and still leave a few shekels for the instructional staff and the dive shop.
Sounds like a great entrepreneurial opportunity to me!
Let's get started... :)
Rick
How about instead just accepting that customer demand drives the industry, and that PADI fills that demand? If you guys spent as much time teaching the way you want for whatever agency you want, as you did complaining and worrying about PADI, youd be much happier. Shut up and go dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom