Anyone with any information on diving in Stuart Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mushymom

Reaction score
We will be in Jupiter Fla in October and don't really want to hit the bigger metro areas for diving and were looking into the Stuart Fla area. Has anyone had any experience diving in that area and what can you recommend for a good shop to book through?

I dive mostly in Broward and Palm Beach counties; occassionally go up to Jupiter but have not made it up to Stuart yet. Let me know what you find.

mushymom:
We will be in Jupiter Fla in October and don't really want to hit the bigger metro areas for diving and were looking into the Stuart Fla area. Has anyone had any experience diving in that area and what can you recommend for a good shop to book through?

After Jupiter heading north, diving ops can get a little problematical - lots of sand and impossibly long offshore runs. Although I knew that Jupiter and Rivera Beach were booming, I didn't realize that they had become metropolises...metropli...ok, one metropolis and then another one nearby.
North of Martin county, I had a hard time even finding a charter boat for diving. Lots of fishing charters - not much interest in divers.
Good luck with Stuart diving.

mushymom:

About 8 years ago a guy was running to the USS Rankin out of Stuart. Absolutely dynamite dive. It was the largest artificial reef in FL prior to the sinking of the Grove. But he's long gone. The Blue Tang started in Stuart, but after about three months Mike (the previous owner) moved her to Jupiter. He couldn't get business in Stuart.

Mushymom, are you familiar with where you are visiting? Do you realize that Jupiter has some of the most interesting diving in Florida?

Tom Winters:
...Although I knew that Jupiter and Rivera Beach were booming, I didn't realize that they had become metropolises...metropli...ok, one metropolis and then another one nearby.

Yep, nothing rural from Jupiter down to south of Miami; that's a metropolwhatever.

Jupiter is a great place to dive. West Palm isn't bad either. There is some great diving in West Palm. My wife is a DM on a boat in West Palm. When it gets closer to your trip, give me a PM and I'll try helping you out.

murphdivers286:
Jupiter is a great place to dive. West Palm isn't bad either. There is some great diving in West Palm. My wife is a DM on a boat in West Palm. When it gets closer to your trip, give me a PM and I'll try helping you out.
Thanks so much! I hope you mean by PM a private message, am still new on here so am not sure how to work the private message thing. :11:
My cousin said there was great diving in Jupiter and WPalm. I think my hubby was looking for a bit quieter area for my first dive trip since my OW. We are going to go over the Colombus Day week in Oct. Hey at least we have cheap (family) accomodations. :D I am so very excited!

scubagalpal:
I dive mostly in Broward and Palm Beach counties; occassionally go up to Jupiter but have not made it up to Stuart yet. Let me know what you find.
No we haven't found a boat yet, but would welcome any good recommendations for either Stuart area or Jupiter. :D

mushymom:
No we haven't found a boat yet, but would welcome any good recommendations for either Stuart area or Jupiter. :D

Hi mushymom.

I'm sorry, I didn't look at your profile before suggesting Jupiter, and didn't realize that you were a brand new diver. (Welcome to ScubaBoard, BTW.)

Being a new diver, I would forget about boats out of Stuart (if there are any). Boat diving from Stuart is a long way offshore, generally a little deep, and the currents usually run very strong. It's not beginner's diving. Others may disagree, but I would suggest getting a few dives behind you before doing Jupiter also. The reefs run a bit deeper in Jupiter than Palm Beach.

My suggestion is go to West Palm Beach. (You'll hear it called Palm Beach, West Palm, Riviera Beach, WP, WPB, PB, etc.; it's all the same place.) There are plenty of nice dives in the 45-60 foot range there.

The other place to recommend is Boynton Beach, just south of West Palm. Similar to West Palm, just shades of difference in the reef life. Biggest difference I find between WP and Boynton is the way the operators run the dive. In most cases in WP the whole boatload will go with one float ball or flag led by a divemaster. In Boynton, multiple small groups of 2 to 6 are sent off, each with their own flag. Also, in WP most boats (there are exceptions) will mandate a profile, while in Boynton they just say dive your own choice of profile (following your tables or computer) up to 1 hour max.

Hi! Thanks for the info. Yes I am still a "wet behind the ears" newbie, my hubby however is more experienced. Who are some good dive operators to look at booking with then in the WP area? Small Groups are better than a huge one. If we could book online that would make things easier. We plan to be down there in Oct.
:crafty:

DivesWithTurtle:
Hi mushymom.

I'm sorry, I didn't look at your profile before suggesting Jupiter, and didn't realize that you were a brand new diver. (Welcome to ScubaBoard, BTW.)

Being a new diver, I would forget about boats out of Stuart (if there are any). Boat diving from Stuart is a long way offshore, generally a little deep, and the currents usually run very strong. It's not beginner's diving. Others may disagree, but I would suggest getting a few dives behind you before doing Jupiter also. The reefs run a bit deeper in Jupiter than Palm Beach.

My suggestion is go to West Palm Beach. (You'll hear it called Palm Beach, West Palm, Riviera Beach, WP, WPB, PB, etc.; it's all the same place.) There are plenty of nice dives in the 45-60 foot range there.

The other place to recommend is Boynton Beach, just south of West Palm. Similar to West Palm, just shades of difference in the reef life. Biggest difference I find between WP and Boynton is the way the operators run the dive. In most cases in WP the whole boatload will go with one float ball or flag led by a divemaster. In Boynton, multiple small groups of 2 to 6 are sent off, each with their own flag. Also, in WP most boats (there are exceptions) will mandate a profile, while in Boynton they just say dive your own choice of profile (following your tables or computer) up to 1 hour max.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom