Anyone willing to share an S95 or S100 RAW file?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have Lightroom and have no intentions of buying it. I'm sure it works very well,...
Don't just summarily write it off, it is an excellent program. Unlike photoshop which is set up to alter photos and can require a fair amount of work to do so, lightroom is designed merely to fine tune them and is much easier to use. If I miss a WB all I have to do is pick on a black spot somewhere in the photo and more often than not it is fixed with just one click. Also easier and more indepth than Canon DPP.

Should you decide to invest, wait for Black Friday.

Canon DPP is good considering it is free, it does have sharpening, noise reduction and other settings
However as a workflow tool is painful and the edit window has limited comparison features
The tool is capable or reapplying all settings that would have been done by the camera in JPEG but then why not take those as they came right awaY?

Don't just summarily write it off, it is an excellent program.

Oh I've heard lots of positives about LR, I'm just not in the market for another image editor. To be honest, I'm also looking for an excuse to replace my A570 so any options that "help" me keep it are options I'm not interest in :)

Canon DPP is good considering it is free, it does have sharpening, noise reduction and other settings
However as a workflow tool is painful and the edit window has limited comparison features
The tool is capable or reapplying all settings that would have been done by the camera in JPEG but then why not take those as they came right away?

With my Nikon my option option is RAW plus basic JPG , and I wasn't interested in low quality images so I'd be reconverting anyway. I've never had an immediate need for the jpg's so I'm perfectly happy taking a day to process them first before converting them. Should I get the S100 I'll certainly consider the option. I'll need a "bigger than I currently have" memory card or cards for it anyway. My biggest, fastest cards are a couple "old" 4gb class 6 SDHC cards.

On the topic of A570's and S100's. Does anyone whose had both have any input of battery life - one vs the other? I know neither is rated very well for battery life but curious if I'll get more longevity with the S100. I use Sanyo Eneloops in the 570 (the original white ones, not the newer higher capacity ones)

If this helps you CT Sean HERE is a page on my website that shows Canon G10 RAW files shot with and without a strobe and the white balance processing in the Canon software supplied with the camera.

I only use the Canon software to process the white balance then finish all the other adjustments in PS CS5 after converting to JPEG. And yes, that is a slow process. I do have the PS plugin so as to be able to open the RAW files in PS and adjust the WB there but I prefer the Canon software for that.

IMO there is no substitute for RAW for non-strobe shots.

That's very helpful. That turtle pic is exactly the type of image I was looking for. The only questions left are do I really want to spend 600 bucks on a camera that gets used a couple times a year and still the question of Ikelite vs Canon housing. I've searched and the posts in this forum unfortunately don't help me decide at all. There's a nice deal on a S95 housing plus strobe in the classifieds right now but i hate the idea of buying an S95 at full retail (no one has it at a clearance price)

That's very helpful. That turtle pic is exactly the type of image I was looking for. The only questions left are do I really want to spend 600 bucks on a camera that gets used a couple times a year and still the question of Ikelite vs Canon housing. I've searched and the posts in this forum unfortunately don't help me decide at all. There's a nice deal on a S95 housing plus strobe in the classifieds right now but i hate the idea of buying an S95 at full retail (no one has it at a clearance price)

I understand your dilemma being an infrequent diver as many divers are. Being a retired old guy I get to dive more often. I still don't invest in more serious equipment than a camera, housing and strobe. I am just not into the add-on lenses and the big dollar housings. The Canon housing is a good choice if you don't want to spend more money and you don't want add-on lenses, especially a wide angle one. It is the least expensive way to go with a Canon camera. Next step would be an Ikelite housing. It is more suitable for add-on lenses as it has a 67mm port. Just about any fiber optically fired strobe can be used with either housing as well as the Ikelite AF35 strobe which uses a light sensor to fire it versus the fiber optic cable.
Some folks are not in favor of the Ike housing with the Ike AF35 strobe. For the smaller size cameras I think it is a good choice for someone like yourself. A good camera and strobe is part of the equation. The person behind the lens is a big part of it. And that comes with practice which infrequent divers don't get to do. None of these setups are inexpensive. Some just less than others.
Just decide on a quality product and a camera that has RAW. As I previously mentioned IMO RAW is a must for non-strobe shots. I spent several years calibrating my white balance off a white card at varying depths and ambient light conditions with my old Olympus C4000Z which had Custom White balance but no RAW. No comparison to having RAW capability.

Good luck with your choices.

A liitle off topic...Any idea which battery brand is best...when I got the S100 I had ordered another 1400 mAH (STK NB5L). I hate swapping batteries on a dive boat, but have done it and if the S100 lacks battery resiliancy (particulalry that the flash will be "on") I'd probably be interested in a third battery (I always carry a spare)

CTSean...Same issue I had. I was a consistent Oly user...wanted to upgrade...but didn't want another camera that I had to change lens' on (E-PL series) (I already have a DSLR). I opted for the S100...good price, good feature-function set, uses wet lenses on either the Ike or FIX or RecSea hsngs. I decided to spend a few extra bucks on the FIX as it provided full access to the entire set of camera controls (my convenience sake only...I'm sure the IKE, which is a few hundred $$$ less is fully usable)...my only concern was ttl in manual (I have a dsTTL capable strobe)...CHDK use will allow me to get equivalent function with the work around

good info everyone - thanks - a lot to think about

I understand your dilemma being an infrequent diver as many divers are.

Just for the record, I do more than a couple dives a year (though I'm sure I still qualify as infrequent), I just don't take my camera on local dives

I decided to spend a few extra bucks on the FIX ...

OK for the record $325 vs $879 is not "a few extra bucks", that's many extra bucks :) . Granted I'd gladly spend it if I had no other use for the money.

Sorry, didn't mean to diminish the "individual" financial impact of the cost difference.......but, in my case, I did a lot of searching...when you consider camera quality, the camera cost, strobes, cables, housings, handles/trays, wet lens' (or 4/3 which required changing or adding very expensive lens and adding not inexepnsive lens ports)...the delta starts to narrow (and may even reverse)...even with a more expensive housing

You probably won't go wrong with an IKE...good value, good manufacture (although I understand that there may be some limitation accessing all the camera functions without using a workaround...there have been posts related to this)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom