Anyone willing to share an S95 or S100 RAW file?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT Sean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As the title says. I don't want anything special - in fact something "less than special" would be preferable. Trying to decide if I should spend money I don't have to replace a camera that works fine (but doesn't shoot RAW and only shoots 480p video). I'd specifically like to play with how well an messed up white balance can be handled.

I've found RAW sample images online but they are all on-land, and obviously not the same.

If anyone's willing to share send me a PM and I'll reply with my e-mail, or just try the email option under my profile (I assume it will work)

thanks in advance

A raw file is not an image so the white balance happens in the software editor post processor
The s95 and S100 differ in terms o processor and video ability if you are looking to have 1080p as a priority get an s100

suffice to say that any RAW file will offer a magnitude greater of color information over a JPEG file to allow for sufficient correction.

what I did with a jpeg-only SD870 was to point the camera at the sand at the bottom and set the custom white balance. This allowed enough leverage to, mostly, correct in post without totally blowing out the other colors.

Canon SD870, Result at around 30ft, no lens filters:
p832353898-4.jpg

Last edited:
A raw file is not an image so the white balance happens in the software editor post processor
The s95 and S100 differ in terms o processor and video ability if you are looking to have 1080p as a priority get an s100

Yes, I know. Above sea level I shoot a Nikon D-SLR in RAW so I'm familiar with it. I have the image processing software i just don't have a file to process. I honestly am not too concerned with 720p vs 1080p. I am leaning towards the S100 mainly because it's the newest, plus no one has any S95's at clearance prices (you can actually buy the S100 for less than the S95 at Adorama at the moment). Besides, I figured for what I want the file for, it really didn't matter which camera it came from. Either is gonna be good enough for my purposes.

Trying to decide if I should spend money I don't have to replace a camera that works fine (but doesn't shoot RAW and only shoots 480p video).
What model camera? Is it something you can install CHDK on to get RAW files?

I currently have an A570 - I guess i should have said "doesn't conveniently shoot RAW". I have CDHK installed but I wasn't a fan of the RAW converters available. Whatever 3rd party converter I tried, I recall having the process each file individually to set WB, sharpness, etc... too much hassle. I like being able to convert RAW files using the "as shot" settings when I actually get the shot right - which Nikon's, and it appears Canon's, image processors allow.

Someone did e-mail me one image though - as expected, i get much better reuslts processing RAW vs trying to correct a "bad" white balance in a jpg in photoshop

I have the A570, too, and CHDK installed. I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't conveniently shoot RAW." The version of CHDK I use shoots RAW as conveniently as it shoots JPG, only the RAW is saved in DNG format. Yes, I must usually tweak WB and sharpness, but these can usually be done in batches using Lightroom. Very easy and convenient, IMHO. I just wish all camera manufacturers would adopt the DNG standard directly.

RAW doesn't have any sharpness an any noise filter applies, the as shot relies on the custom white balance you had when you took the shot
In essence if you shoot raw you need to go through wb, sharpness, noise reduction and saturation all the things that the camera does on it's own in jpeg
However you get to do it as you like and don't leave it to the camera defaults
In Lightroom you can apply a preset noise reduction and sharpness however it is not a good idea to apply those in batch unless the pictures are taken at the same ISO value and aperture
RAW involves more work it is typically done only for your high rating pictures not as a mass option
I typically shoot raw+Jpeg and decide later which shots to reprocess from RAW
In some conditions the effort is not worth it but in most cases it is

I have the A570, too, and CHDK installed. I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't conveniently shoot RAW." The version of CHDK I use shoots RAW as conveniently as it shoots JPG, only the RAW is saved in DNG format. Yes, I must usually tweak WB and sharpness, but these can usually be done in batches using Lightroom. Very easy and convenient, IMHO. I just wish all camera manufacturers would adopt the DNG standard directly.

When I "say conveniently shoot RAW" I am including post-processing. Shooting RAW with my Nikon is convenient in that I can "quickly" run through them in Nikon's software, either Capture NX2 or ViewNX (which has become pretty good with the latest releases), make tweaks where necessary, ignore anything that is good enough and go watch TV while they batch convert to .jpg.

I don't have Lightroom and have no intentions of buying it. I'm sure it works very well, however I agree with Interceptor, I don't think batch applying a set of settings to all pictures will be particularly successful - how often does ones pix really all need the same adjustments.

Just for the record, I don't want to upgrade to shoot RAW, I want to upgrade for several other reasons and one of the requirements for the replacement is the ability to shoot RAW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom