anyone want to dive the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I been thinking of trying to get a trip together to dive the Spiegel Grove anyone else interested probably be sept or OCT who know maybe may depending on who wants to go also anyone dived it before any recommendations for dive operators .

I dived on it twice with OCEAN DIVERS out of Key Largo, Sept '02. Really nice boats and operation, and they WILL GO OUT, regardless of how few divers show up. A little pricey, but worthy. 32% Nitrox readily available. Long lunch break between trips and a nice cafe next door. I was solitary, so I was assigned buddies - both air hogs on regular air! When I checked my air at 1500 pounds at 80 feet, one was down to 500! Saved his butt, then phone my first instructor and thanked him for preparing me well.

Dived on it twice again in March '03, going with Tavenier Dive Center. I like their style and prices. They do charge a fule surcharge for this one, but still cheap enough. They custom mixed my 30% EAN, as I prefered; no problem! Everyone on these trips was experienced, diving Nitrox with computers, although one budy did forget to turn his Pony Reg on. Got it going for him. Not going to tell MY mistakes.

Anyway, it's an awsome dive - one big ship! Saw a Grouper the size of a boar hog last time. Also recommend The Bibb, The Duane, The Eagle (my fav), and down the hiway - Abyss Dive Center for the Thunderbolt and Loe Key Dive Center for the Busch. I like wrecks.

I always go alone, and stay economically at Key Largo's Hungry Pelican. Get more traveling done that way, than waiting on someone esle. No problems.

:balloon:

It's a hoot! A nice motel with funky animal statues decorating the grounds. Tame manatees visit the dock on the back bay there, for handouts and petting.

The Holiday Inn is nice, as is every other Holiday Inn I've ever stayed at - but just a little sterile. The HP makes you feel like you've gone someplace.

:wink:

The speigel is great. I now have 86 dives on it! I am a key largo local, and prefer dive-in....www.diveinflkeys.com

they run a six pack, so it fills quick, but I've been out with almost everyone, and they are my favorite!

a 6 pack is the way to go.

i did two 4-day weekends in Key Largo this summer, Memorial Day and 4th of July. was able to get in 10 dives on each trip. the second trip was lucky enough to limit the dives to the Spiegal Grove, Duane, and Bibb. going with a 6 pack is what did the trick.

on privious trips we went with Silent World, Ocean Divers, Atlantis, and the other big names. none of them did back to back dives on the Speigal or any other wreck. it was one wreck then off to a shallow reef where i had to scoop sand to get 20 feet.

what dates are you thinkin about? i get back home to NC 12 September, then am off untill 16 Oct, so i'm pretty flexible and would love to get some more Grove dives in.

Brad

Back
Top Bottom