anyone want the truth and science on inwater recompression? It's incredibly effective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100% O2 at 60'? Are you insane?

Its what you would do in a chamber.......thus one of the many reasons why IWR is so dangerous and contraversial. The risk and incidence of OX TOX in a chamber seems to be lower than in the water (from what Ive read).....but technically if you want the equivelant affect and the hit was bad enough.....thats what is called for.

Even if I made the decision to go back into the water - I dont think I have the balls to do to that depth on O2....but its been done. I would probably take a lower % to that depth - or possibly use O2 at 20 ft, but Im not going to 60 ft.

Last edited:
I've never had to do it,I have witnessed it more times than you'd believe.3 guys this year,one had partial paralysis and numbness that went away after said profile.I have seen guys take 02 to a spring or nearby body of water to "fix' themselves as well.
We also do 5-7 dives a day for a week at a time in up to 190'.I'm sure we should all be dead :sarcasm:but miraculously everyone who follows protocol is just fine.The guys who've been hurt ascended to quickly late in the dive for the most part but some stayed too long.We have empirically determined over many years what works for us,YMMV.

Chamber uses a longer version of the same p02s does it not?

This is the worst advice I've ever seen on SB. 60ft on o2 is loony tunes.

Use another gas. Go deeper if need be. But good lord don't take o2 to 60ft.

What's done in a chamber is NOT and should NOT be the same as you do on scuba in the water. If you have a seizure in a chamber its no big deal. Do it in the water and you might just end up in a pinewood box.

What's done in a chamber is NOT and should NOT be the same as you do on scuba in the water. If you have a seizure in a chamber its no big deal. Do it in the water and you might just end up in a pinewood box.

That is true. It is also true that for reasons not understood, people can tolerate much greater pressures on O2 in a chamber than under water.

If you are going to use IWR, use one of the established IWR protocols, and have the appropriate equipment.

Not meant as advice, just history. 40+ years worth.As I mentioned, it's done more frequently that I'd want.The divers often return to diving that day or the next.Either every one of these incidents is a statistical outlier, or 02 isn't the voodoo gas only rocket scientists can use.

Who's been doing IWR at 60 ft on oxygen for 40 years? How many cases? Who's tracking this?

No one is "tracking"anything.I related incidents I have witnessed .I also related this is not something new or isolated. Nor is there a single incident of someone drowning or losing consciousness. Make of it what you will, but predictions of death and doom haven't been borne out in practice. I remember hearing the same clamor in the 80s when we would put 02 in a tank without telling the shop as nitrox wasn't common knowledge.

60' on O2 would scare the crap out of me. Especially if your OTU's are high from a long dive already. I have never had or been involved in an incident where most or all of the deco was blown off. I have had and been around people who have had some sholder pain etc. after a dive. I can tell you from my experience that going back in the water and going to a depth where the pain subsides and then slowly reascending doing stops at every 10' for a few minutes at a time then staying at 10-20' on 02 for an extended time definitely makes you feel better. I am of the opinion that the sooner you can get recompressed the better. I think TDI is teaching an in water recompression class now. What depth are they recommending O2?

I can offer no medical or professional observations/information. My one IWR was to deal with a subcutaneous embolism that resulted from a run away/botched ascent from 78' on a borrowed BCD, the first time I ran into the new fangled flotation thingies, without retraining. :no:

Another tank of air and hanging at @20' for 30 min resolved everything but some horrid bruising.

Note: I am NOT advocating doing this, but from my own experience in the 80's there is no doubt that if a chamber was not close at hand I would certainly consider this as a valid option, if only a temporary one, if re compression was required. It may not be ideal, but it is close at hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom