Anyone using '013' O-rings as mating surfaces for more 'grip' when attaching 2nd stage to LP hose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By design, "locking" SAE J1926 straight thread bosses should come from the metal to metal contact/friction caused by proper torquing of the threads instead of any torque limiting contributed by the O-ring. Could it be that you are not tightening the connection enough? The connection should be lightly torgued, but just enough that it doesn't unscrew or back off in use.

I don't recall the proper torque for this connection, but @couv or @herman probably do.

SP gives a torque value of 44 inch pounds for hp (7/16") and lp (3/8") port fittings going into the first stage.

However, I thought the OP was asking about adding a washer to the outside of the second stage air barrel (9/16") to act as a friction device.

OP, "I've been installing '013' Viton O-rings when attaching 2nd stages to LP hoses..."

I don't see how this would be an improvement over metal to metal contact.

OP: "and is a better idea than just having raw chromed brass surfaces as the mating surface."

Again, the metal to metal interface provides the friction necessary to prevent loosening.

How much torque? I don't remember ever seeing a specified amount, so I've always used: Run the fitting down finger tight until the surfaces meet-then snug with a wrench. Snug? How snug you say. Unlike some hydraulic fitting where one uses a torque wrench or counts flats of the 'B' nut, you should not even see the wrench/fitting move.

Everyone reading this tread would be interested in Akimbo's excellent article:
O-rings for Divers

Back
Top Bottom