***!?! Anyone used these monstrosities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tunatail_be%20copy.jpg

Hey Bob!
Was this picture to demonstrate the design similarity between the FF and a natural fin (i.e., the picture is showing a Force Fin on top of a "natural" fin) or did you really make a fin like that? :confused:

Sibermike7, Yes, that is a picture of a fin made. I was sliding different blade designs into a shaft that was formed in the fin. I posted the photo to show one of many prototypes I have created since 1971. I found some more photo's of this concept and will post on the Force fin site. I am packing up at the office and at home all force fin designs so I am discovering crazy stuff each day. Doug Shaka is a good diver and person. We hope to have a chance to go diving with him and leave fin discussions above water.

This is a link for king fish. Notice the size of the fin proportionally to the fish. The king fish is usually about three feet long and about 20 or so pounds. Now imagine a six foot diver and 200 pounds, and then look at those "tail" fins being discussed, do you really thing there is any proportionality in that concept.

King Mackerel, Fish Identification

Now look at this video, notice the size of the fin:

YouTube - Monofin diving 2

N

Sibermike7, Yes, that is a picture of a fin made. I was sliding different blade designs into a shaft that was formed in the fin. I posted the photo to show one of many prototypes I have created since 1971. I found some more photo's of this concept and will post on the Force fin site. I am packing up at the office and at home all force fin designs so I am discovering crazy stuff each day. Doug Shaka is a good diver and person. We hope to have a chance to go diving with him and leave fin discussions above water.

I believe that. In the thread that I linked, the other divers spoke highly of him, that was part of the reason that I linked that particular thread. There are many nasty threads and I don't care to provide any links to them!

Looking forward to the time I'll be back in SoCal and will be swinging by your place Bob!:wink:

The mor-fin's premise is that fish are more efficient and better swimmers than people. So the mor-fin tries to help you capture the power of tuna to swim better or something something.

Yeah, the bs is so deep, I can't even really explain it.

If you cut the tail off, that fin sort of looks like a Scuba Pro Jet Revo from japan. With the one large channel in the middle. I would even hazard to guess that if you cut the tail off, it probably makes it a better fin.

Alright, these guys are funny. I went looking for patents on their pages since obviously if they had a patent, Bob's prior art would nullify it.

On their page for Intellectual Property:
Morfin Corp. uses valuable intellectual property rights. We will protect our Trademark and Biomimetics Bio-Inspired patented innovations to the full limit of the law.

In each case, we reserve the right to file federal law suits against manufacturers and distributors who infringe on this intellectual property attempting to sell products similar to ours.

I think it should be against the law to call it Intellectual Property if you are so dumb you don't realize you don't own it.

More info:
The following patents cover Morfin Corp technology.
Additional US PATENTS PENDING.
7,083,485 - 6,893,307 - 6,685,521 - 6,375,531 - 5,906,525

They are so nice in their first application to mention 10 examples of prior art and then split hairs about why they should get the patent anyway.

United States Patent: 5906525

This one, sounds like an old Jeff Dunham routine. Its a dolphin tail..... ON A STICK.

United States Patent: 6375531

An attempt to patent what seems like a generic hand fin:

United States Patent: 6685521

An attempt to patent fins with "channeling scoops" ...... and a tail!

United States Patent: 6893307

And the following patent app, which of course cites a patent by Bob, involves.... (i think) multiple vortex generators in serial (like the bottom of an excellerator). It also turns a patent application into a high school civics sounding essay.

United States Patent: 7083485

Check these tidbits.

"Man has long sought means to propel through water with greater comfort, effectiveness, efficiency and speed"

I feel wind beneath my wings!

"Many swim fins in the past have made claims about using a "fish" based system of propulsion for their propulsion strategy. The majority of the exterior shape of a fish is involved with the fish's system of propulsion, and yet earlier conventional swim fins have seldom born any resemblance to the "exterior shape of a fish". Without using a structure related to the shape of a fish, it is difficult to follow the logic of the claim of "fish" based propulsion."

But guess what, a tiny little fishing looking tail on a fin does not give a human fish propulsion!

Most of the patents apps fail novelty, nonobvious, or useful. Beam me up Scotty.

Hey Devon
Have you PM'd Shaka and asked him for his 2 cents? It might be interesting to hear what a dive Pro that actually uses these things thinks! :D

Most fins work about the same. I doubt morfins make you go slower than barefooted or cause you to spontaneously combust.

I just highly doubt they give you greater benefits than any other fin. The design might make them easier to kick in, but there are plenty of "easy kick" fins on the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom