Anyone use the LL Bean Wheeled Duffel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_guy62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking about getting an LL Bean Wheeled Duffel for my significant other as a dive travel bag. She prefers something a little more colorful than the standard black dive bags. The bag seems to be well made and priced and comes in at under 10lbs empty. I was wondering if anyone has or is using one of these for hauling the dive gear around.

Don't have one, but it looks like it would work... The two big questions are (1) will your gear fit in it and (2) will it pass the airline sizing standards without creating extra fees? Some airlines are now claiming size related charges as well for checked bags. I think I read Delta requiring checked bags to be smaller than 72 linear inches (W+D+H) or there would be an added baggage handling fee. Don't remember how much, but it was over $50 for sure. Anyway for me, if it passes those 2 tests, I'd go for it without question!

I have four of them for general travel and also dive travel. They work very well for dive gear. I bought them because I had someone grab my all black dive bag by mistake so I wanted something that would stand out from the other bags. One word of warning, they provide no protection to the contents and this cost me two masks that were in their cases wrapped in wetsuits. I now put my computer, reg and masks in my carry on or hardsided case. This was my fault, (I should know better) and not the bags fault.

The airlines have never questioned me on the size (I have the biggest ones) however that could change any day or any airport. In June, I flew with them to Indonesia and had no complaints from any of the airlines I used.

Incidentally I got curious about the airline charges and here's what I found. Generally speaking the linear size for checked baggage must be no more than 62" (United, American, Northwest, Delta) and 50lbs. The charge for oversized baggage is between $50-100.

The LL Bean Extra Large Wheeled Duffel is 17"H x 34"W x 15"D = 66" (Over by 4")
The LL Bean Large Wheeled Duffel is 15"H x 30"W x 13"D = 58" (Under by 4")
The LL Bean Medium Wheeled Duffel is 11"H x 23"W x 11"D = 45" which you could carry on.

Here's a chart that appeared in USA Today on 2/18/08 showing charges that each airline imposes for baggage:

Airlines want you to pack less - or pay more - USATODAY.com

Hope this helps!

Livewire thanks for doing the math...I was just about to check the various sizes and voila...done for me. I checked the current dive bag (older model Aeris with non telescoping handle) and the large seems to be around the same dimensions. The weight (empty) for size on the large seems pretty good considering the handle etc.
I like the custom colours for easy picking out at the airport. My biggest concern is how tough they are. Considering getting one for some friends who are heading off to Oz and New Zealand for a month as an early xmas gift.
LL Bean isn't as popular up here as there is no retail outlet and I've noticed that as more and more stuff is made offshore what once was a great bag or jacket may not still fit the bill. Thanks for the input to all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom