Anyone use the 30" Eagle Creek Crossroads Roll-Away Wheeled Duffel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameseg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was looking at potential scuba baggage at REI the other day and ran across this:

Eagle Creek Crossroads Roll-Away Wheeled Duffel - 30" - Free Shipping at REI.com

It's a wheeled duffel bag that weighs less than 5lbs. The one person who reviewed it seems to think it's perfect for scuba gear transport. Seems like it could be a a great option, especially on a liveaboard, but I'm concerned about how well its lightweight construction would hold up over time.

Anyone use this?

James

I ended up purchasing this bag for my recent trip to Thailand. Here's a mini-review for anyone considering this bag.

First, it truly is as light as the specs say it is. The Samsonite suitcase I had been using weighs about 16 lbs, which severely limits the amount of gear I can add before hitting the 50 lb airline maximum. With the new bag weighing under 5 lbs, I can cram in another 10 or 11 lbs of gear and still be fine. On the way back, we were able to fit two complete sets of gear (two sets of open-foot fins and booties, two reg setups in soft travel cases, two moderately heavy BCDs, a save-a dive kit, two 3/2 wetsuits, two mask and snorkel sets, and a flashlight or two) and clock in around 49 lbs.

Went I originally went to look at the bag at REI, I was expecting it to be made of fairly flimsy material, given the need for light weight. But it's actually a bit more robust than I expected. Certainly not as tough or thick as you would find in a premium suitcase, but after a total of 7 flights to and around Thailand, it's held up fine. The wheel assemblies aren't as sturdy as I would like to see, but so far no issues with them.

Now for the one major negative: there is no rigid handle or spine in this bag. That's what allows it to fold up on itself for easy storage in a hotel room or liveaboard, but it also makes it more difficult to pull. Rather than being able to balance the bag on its wheels and use only minimal effort to pull the bag, you end up holding up a decent amount of the bag's weight as you pull it. For short distances, this is fine, but I wouldn't want to have to drag this bag across town.

Related to the above, I can't recommend this bag for anyone who just wants to pack just clothing. Because there's no rigid spine, the bag would likely sag in the middle and make it even more difficult to pull. Scuba gear is fine, as the fins and the BCDs provide plenty of support.

So in summary, I really like this bag for it's intended use of getting two sets of dive gear to our various travel destinations. It's especially useful for liveaboards, where storage space for luggage is not always available. I think there are better options out there for non-divers who are looking for a large-capacity suitcase for clothing.

James

We just bought a pair of these, 5.11 Tactical Mission Rolling Duffel Bag 56005 CLOSEOUT for our gear. Big reason was to be able to take our gear to HI with us next month. Also putting both of our gear in the 5.11 CAMS 42" made things very heavy. I have a few other 5.11 bags that get abused on a daily basis and have held up very well. For the price these are hard to beat, we did a lot of looking.

The main pocket holds our BC's (BP/W) and fins easily with lots of room around it to pack things like undies and t-shirts. We wrapped out reg sets in a towel and they fit nicely in the inside top pocket. The outside top pocket fits our mask and gloves. Few odds and ends on the outside pockets and you are set.

I would take pics but the GF has them at her house finishing packing.

The sizes listed for the bag are max sizes. It gives a 63 liner inch and the airline we are taking is 62" max. These bags can easily be under 62" depending on how you pack. There are only 2 things I do not like about the bag. The buckles that have cinch straps on them only cinch a couple inches where the top and bottom meet. If they cinched all the way around you would be able to compress you bag more. For some unknown reason these bags will not stand up on their own.

:bonk::bonk::bonk:

So only after making my post did I notice that you did the question and the review...........

:doh::doh::doh:

...intense

I just throw all my gear into a large Halcyon Mesh Bag I bought to some dude at 20$...

I have only one set to haul around but it was mainly a BP/w, reg-set, fins (jetfins :p), wet-suit and tool-box went on the 25# side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom