The New Dive Rite Optima CM - My 30 Hour Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been reading @Superlyte27's slander (lol :wink:) of the rEvo for years now

:surrender:détente

I find myself turning the ADV inline shut off on and off so much, that someteimes the LPI pops off.

I wonder if its because I have it attached to a high quality reg with high IP whether sometimes the dil slow leaks into the loop? Is that possible? I may yet swap out for the MAV but not certain I know the Chop intimately enough yet.

:surrender:détente
I wonder if its because I have it attached to a high quality reg with high IP whether sometimes the dil slow leaks into the loop? Is that possible?
That is unlikely. If that continues to be a problem, I’d try different inflator hoses or slide a 112/DIN o-ring over the collar. Downside is increased difficulty disconnecting.

- I am not thrilled that I cannot reach my power inflator for my wing with my right hand when I have the Chop clipped on. When diving my rEvo, I often use either hand for adding gas to my wing or adding O2 or dil to my loop. With the Chop, adding dil or wing gas is a left hand-only affair. And, if I have a light on the back of my left hand, I can't use it to reach my drysuit inflator, either.
I typically dive with a light on my left hand, and I have little problem accessing the drysuit inflator with that hand. And sometimes I use my right hand for inflation. Both work for me on the Choptima.

- I got my Chop with a NERD 2 controller. It uses the Divesoft mounting system to attach it to the DSV. I wish it held the NERD lower. I bent the bracket to get the NERD as low as I could but it is still higher in my field of view than I would like - i.e. higher than the NERD on my rEvo. But, it is really nice that it holds the NERD solidly and doesn't let it shift around on the DSV like the rEvo mount allows.
@Rollin Bonz found a fellow on FB who makes a low-profile NERD mount that replaces a DSV-to-hose ring. It looks pretty sweet, and I'm thinking about ordering one.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say there. But, I do know that they have an optional kit to change the connector on the dil ADV/MAV from a standard LPI nipple to a QC6 (which is very high flow). Of course, you have to use a hose from your dilout that has a QC6 connector on it as well. But, I don't want to change mine to QC6. That would introduce a big headache for me with all the hoses I would have to add or change on my various regs.

Yes, so I'm not talking about QC6, I mean there are different types of LPI connections and some are higher flowing than others (apparently). My instructor was telling me about something like that and it honestly went in one ear and out the other. The MAV injects so much gas so quickly I hardly see a reason to go with a QC6.

When I return to doing 100ft/min descents I may eat my words, but I just checked my Shearwater logs and so far the fastest I've done is 60ft/min descents and even then I couldn't just hold the button.... quick push for a little squirt and that's it.

At the very least try the MAV. If you dive with other Choptima divers, it takes a few minutes to swap between MAV/ADV.

@stuartv
Next time you’re in FL, hit me up and dive my BM Optima. Breathes almost as good as the Chop and no chest clutter. I’m nearly certain you’d sell the rEvo. I did.

I still think the Chop is the absolute best for travel and wreck.

So @stuartv have you attached a gag strap to your chomptima?

No. Not yet. :)

@stuartv
Next time you’re in FL, hit me up and dive my BM Optima. Breathes almost as good as the Chop and no chest clutter. I’m nearly certain you’d sell the rEvo. I did.

I still think the Chop is the absolute best for travel and wreck.

Thank you! I would love to take you up on that. And I'm still hoping to demo a Genesis at some point, too. :D

No. Not yet. :)

Thank you! I would love to take you up on that. And I'm still hoping to demo a Genesis at some point, too. :D
I have 1 here you can borrow and 3 3.1's coming next month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom