Anyone use inner tube as fin straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been inspired by all the talk about how great spring straps are and how bulky and snaggy and fragile most stock fin straps are. I have to say that I am surprised about all this stuff breaking. I'n new to Scuba but have snorkeled a modest amount of the last 25 years and have never had a mask strap break. My fin straps (Atomic Split) look pretty substantial. Where do these things break? Is it a buckle problem or does the rubber itsefl just break in half? Anyway, it does not appear that the kind of spring straps that I have seen pictures of would work with the Atomics because the Atomics use a knobbed post rather than a thing than a pin would insert into. Anyhow, I cut a length of mountain inner tube and, with a hole punch, put a hole about an inch back from the end of the tube so that the hole could be hooked over the knob. The fin seems very secure on my foot, is easy to remove, is very low profile, and for the short time I was wearing it showed no signs of wear (i.e., the hole did not expand). Has anyone done this? Does it sound a priori like a bad idea? I kind of like the look of it but don't want to lose a $200 fin in 60 ft of water.

dlwalke,

It's not as much a breaking issue as it is a snag hazzard. The little flapps of rubber stap thant hangs off, can get you in trouble when running a reel, or even coming up a trail line behind a dive boat when surfacing.

With the spring strap, you not only have MUCH less chance of getting hung up but the added bonus is strength.

Hope this helps in your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom